SOLVED

Re: Will a data value change mix up steps in my smart campaign flow?

Go to solution
Valerie_Armstro
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Will a data value change mix up steps in my smart campaign flow?

Hello all,

I have a campaign created where a lead can run through each time a form is filled out.  On this form, I have a hidden field that is populated by a URL parameter to capture data on the name of the asset they downloaded, which in the flow dictates certain actions based on if they download asset A, asset B, etc. If the lead downloads asset A, then visits the form again and downloads asset B, is is possible with that data value changing from A to B that some sets in the flow could get mixed up in my smart campaign?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Val, I don't know if this is the exact same situation, but in testing some of our email campaigns I would check a box twice inadvertently, and I could receive duplicates of every email because I was technically running through the campaign twice at that time. I think that this is a similar thing here, so if someone enters the flow based on one campaign, and then they reenter the same flow based on another campaign, they should be ok. The exception to this would be if there are any flow steps that look for whether they are asset A or asset B, and that value has been overwritten by a previous action.

Is it possible to split these into separate campaigns? It seems like it would be a neater way to do things, and you can know that once a lead enters a flow then they will continue through that flow unless you remove them from the flow.

Hope that makes sense!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Val, I don't know if this is the exact same situation, but in testing some of our email campaigns I would check a box twice inadvertently, and I could receive duplicates of every email because I was technically running through the campaign twice at that time. I think that this is a similar thing here, so if someone enters the flow based on one campaign, and then they reenter the same flow based on another campaign, they should be ok. The exception to this would be if there are any flow steps that look for whether they are asset A or asset B, and that value has been overwritten by a previous action.

Is it possible to split these into separate campaigns? It seems like it would be a neater way to do things, and you can know that once a lead enters a flow then they will continue through that flow unless you remove them from the flow.

Hope that makes sense!
Valerie_Armstro
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Thank you for your detailed response, Dory! It is possible to split these into seperate campaigns and historically we have done this, but as you know, overtime the number of triggered campaigns start adding up as we add new assets.  We do have different flow steps based on the asset, but from what I have seen in the lead activity logs, the flow actions are executed  within seconds after the lead qualifies for the campaign.  My initial assumption would be that even if a lead downloads Asset A, then downloads Asset B, the likelihood of the flow steps getting mixed up would be low.  However, I will keep them seperate for now.  Thanks again!