Re: Why isn't my Program recognizing the list I uploaded?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why isn't my Program recognizing the list I uploaded?

Hello, we uploaded a list to the lead database. We are trying to use this list as a static list - a one-time communication. We built an email program where the smart list looks directly to that static list we built. However, the sample communication isn't drawing the data we uploaded with that list. Yes, we built unique fields in the field management section. Yes, we are using the tokens that match those unique fields (i.e.   {{lead.Takeout Company Name:default=Takeout Agency}})

However, what we have noticed is that when we did a sample email for some contacts in the list we have the Smart List of our program pointing to, it is not drawing the appropriate data... actually, it simply doesn't see the data even though it exists in the list and the individual's profile. So we investigated further and realized that the lead was listed multiple times (3 or more times) in our database -- all under the same mail.

To by pass this we uploaded the static list into the Members portion of the program and made the smart list at the program level read "If Member of  -said program- then send -said email-). Refreshed and tested one of our concerning leads in a sample email and it was still pulling data from one of the lead's other entries (duplicates).

We even tried adding more to our smart list logic such as creation date, etc. but it keeps pulling the wrong lead (same name but different data - in our case no data).

How do we use the static list and all of the data so our communication uses the data from those contacts -- even if those contacts already exist in our lead database? How do we overcome the duplicates?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Christina

If you have followed the proper de-dupe criteria, then duplicate records will not be created. Now assume, during import if you have already duplicate records, then Marketo will not allow to create new record, instead it will update last modified record. Temporarily, you can use a filter where you can check for updated At field with in that data range to see only record that you recently imported. Specially you can check for lead attribute "Updated At" list import date. It will give very close results.

Broader solution is ti merge the duplicate records. I do have developed a lead merge tool based web services API, which I use to run every 3 month to make sure duplicate are cleaned.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kapil,

Thank you for your help. What we found out was the sample email does not reflect the filters that are set in the Smartlist. It is only there to test the content (i.e. tokens). I know that seems pretty simple, but as a newbie my mind automatically associated that a sample email send from a program would draw the data associated with that program (including the leads that were associated to the list created in the Smartlist of that section). And sure, the sample email would draw that data if I had chosen then correct email record. Note, that the email record was a duplicate, so I didn't realize that even in the sample email environment that it would pull the first know record.

Anyways. In case anyone else comes across this discussion,  I wanted them to know that the Sample Email with lead info is NOT associated in anyway to the Smartlist filters used in that program.