Why isn't google analytics reading my utm tracking tags on emails sent through Marketo?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why isn't google analytics reading my utm tracking tags on emails sent through Marketo?

So after sending batch emails through marketos, with all links tagged with utm tracking code,  like so:
http://blog.liquidspace.com/tag/newyearnewoffice?utm_source=NYNO&utm_medium=email&content=Subscribe&...

Google Analytics for some reason isn't picking up the clicks and views as sourced from the email we sent, but we know the email initiated the views just by looking at time stamps in GA vs when we sent the email.

Anyone have any insight?

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Why isn't google analytics reading my utm tracking tags on emails sent through Marketo?

Marketo doesn't change the query string of the original link (it will create an entirely different link to bounce off the tracking server, but the lead will then be redirected to the original link).  Except in very rare cases, there will be no impact on the destination server.

You should be able to see easily whether a lead arrives at the destination page with UTMs intact: there will be a Munchkin Visit Web Page activity corresponding to that pageview, and you can look at the details.