Why NOT use static list export from Salesforce

Riz_Alvi
Level 4

Why NOT use static list export from Salesforce

Hello Everyone,

There is a debate going on at my work as what is the best practice when creating a target list. The questions is should we create filters in salesforce and export CSV and import as static list. Our Marketo instance is synced to Salesforce. I personally don't see a reason why we have to create a static list when Smart List can do the same job.

Can anyone provide me references  to defend my argument?

Appreciate your help!

Riz Alvi
4 REPLIES 4
Darrell_Alfons2
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Why NOT use static list export from Salesforce

Hi Riz,

It is extra work to do the import, and it could cause errors.

A happy middle ground could be - you create reports in Salesforce, then add them to a campaign (on the report there is an "add to campaign" button) and then for your smart list use "member of sfdc campaign".

Watch out though because you'll need to create separate lead and contact reports.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Darrell,

This is the way to go, indeed

You would have to report separately leads and contacts anyway, whatever you do in SFDC, unless you are targeting members of another campaign (since campaign member reports can mix leads and contacts)

Also, be aware that SFDC campaigns are not sync'ed to Marketo by default. There is a setting that needs to be activated in the admin -> Salesforce section.

-Greg

Emily_Thornton1
Level 4 - Champion Alumni

Depending on the timing of when you import your static list and send out your email, attributes on lead records could change, meaning there could be people who were imported as part of the static list, who no longer match the filters in the report you had created to capture them, and they'd still receive your email. A smart list would dynamically update as lead data changes.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Riz Alvi,

A third way could be to replicate the SFDC list in Marketo. Use the exact same filters you have in SFDC, and create a duplicate smartlist in Marketo. One thing you'd have to be cognizant of is if the filters in the original SFDC smartlist change, the Marketo smartlist would need to be updated as well.