Who uses Marketo in your company? (Share best practices)

Weisi_Kang
Level 2

Who uses Marketo in your company? (Share best practices)

Hi everyone!

Here are some questions that I've been thinking about for the past couple of months.

Questions:

1) How is Marketo being used in your company?

2) Who uses Marketo at your company?

Context:

As we transition out of traditional demand gen/pipeline marketing and into account-based marketing (ABM), I am having trouble imagining how we will use Marketo as a means to support the targeted activities ABM requires (ex. individual outreach) in our pilot phase.

Something that was suggested was to decentralize Marketo (out of the marketing operations team) and allow teams that have items that need to go to market (ex. the research team has a person on their team dedicated to setting up landing pages, forms, and tracking for any research papers that need to be up on the website) to do it themselves. The marketing operations team would be in charge of final QA, approval, and coordinating all of these efforts.

Concerns:

While I understand that this is necessary to grow our operations at scale, it makes me uneasy that 1) so many people will have access, increasing the likelihood that something will go wrong and 2) people will feel empowered to do more than was allotted to them (ie send an email instead of just setting it up for final approval). I also understand that there are tools built into Marketo for this specific purpose (ex. Calendar, user profiles, etc) -- how is that set up at your company?

It is unclear what role Marketo plays in ABM in the short term (pilot) -- how do we communicate the value of Marketo as we move toward a very targeted solution to marketing?

Any of your thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Who uses Marketo in your company? (Share best practices)

Hi Weisi,

You would better post this to "products". Much more people will read it an be likely to answer.

This is a very interesting question. I tend to think that it is not possible to put Marketo in the hands of untrained people, such as sales, but Marketo offers many possibilities for sales to interact with it, through Sales Insight (you can make emails or campaigns available to sales through it) and also, if you use Salesforce, through Salesforce campaigns. This would enable you to prepare specific campaigns for you ABM actions and empower the sales to run them as needed.

Marketo is by essence a product that fits much better than others with decentralized marketing operations. Provided some work and the minimum of options (if your org is large enough, you may want to consider the Workspace / Partition capability that comes with higher end editions), you can create sets of sharable bets practices that will be replicated and used locally, with an excellent efficiency.

Marketo also offers some options that bring a lot of values to ABM tactics, such as Real-Time-Personalization. You may also want to look at them.

-Greg