Re: White space between body and masthead img

Anonymous
Not applicable

White space between body and masthead img

Hi all,

I am trying to get rid of this white space (td, as screen shot) between my mast img and body content. I think its caused by my CTA button on the img. But i cant seem to shorten the white space with line-height or height. This is for an email template.

whitespace.JPG

<!-- MASTHEAD -->

<tr>

<td align="center" height="220" valign="top" bgcolor="#666666">

<div class="mktoImg" id="mastheadImg" mktoName="Masthead Image 650x220" mktoImgSrc="https://global.curvature.com/rs/370-TGX-095/images/6ThingsHeaderImage_soloFeature.jpg" mktoImgLink="https://com" mktoImgWidth="650" mktoImgHeight="220">

<!-- TOP CTA -->

<tr>

<center>

<tbody>

<tr>

<td class="cta" style= "-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%; -ms-text-size-adjust: 100%; mso-table-lspace: 0pt; mso-table-rspace: 0pt; word-break: break-word; -webkit-hyphens: none; -moz-hyphens: none; hyphens: none; text-align: center; border-collapse: collapse; background:#FFFFFF;" align="">

<table style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%; -ms-text-size-adjust: 100%; mso-table-lspace: 0pt; mso-table-rspace: 0pt; border-spacing: 0; border-collapse: collapse; margin-top:0; margin-right: auto; margin-bottom:0; margin-left: auto;" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0";>

<td style="-ms-text-size-adjust: 100%; -webkit-text-size-adjust: 100%; mso-table-rspace: 0pt; word-break: break-word; -webkit-hyphens: none; -moz-hyphens: none; hyphens: none; mso-table-lspace: 0pt; -webkit-border-radius: 5px; -moz-border-radius: 5px; border-radius: 5px; -moz-background-clip: padding; -webkit-background-clip: padding-box; background-clip: padding-box; text-align: center; border-collapse: collapse; position:relative;bottom:65px;" align="middle" bgcolor="#f26925">

<div class="mktoText" id="TopCTA-Text" mktoname="Top Call To Action Text" target="_blank" style="color: #ffffff; font-size:14px;font-family:Calibri,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif; font-weight: bold; text-decoration:none; width:140px; height:45px; display:inline-block; border-bottom: none; text-transform: uppercase; cursor: pointer; line-height: 15px; "><br/>

<a href="#" target="_blank" style="text-decoration: none; color: #ffffff;">Contact Me</a>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

</center>

</td>

</tr>

<!-- /TOP CTA -->

Thanks in advanced,

Amelia

9 REPLIES 9
Frank_Breen2
Level 10

There is quite a few HTML issues in the code you supplied above, please share the full HTML so we can provide a fix.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Frank and JD Nelson,

I've attached the file in the original post.

I realized that the top button appears on my masthead img on mobile just fine but it is positioned below the masthead img on desktop outlook.

Appreciate the help in advanced!

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

are you sure this is the same email? this layout looks a lot different from the screenshot you initially provided. Looking at this, however, there appears to be an <h1> tag around your headline/masthead that does nothing but add whitespace above/below it -- that may be what you are seeing. You can either set your h1 in your CSS (it wasn't listed, so it just assumes default variables) to remove the top/bottom margin, or you can change your h1 to a normal <div> and it will be exactly the same and remove the top/bottom margin. (you do have 10px already code above/below which is what you're still seeing here:

Screenshot 2018-01-05 06.58.52.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi JD Nelson​ , i have reattached the file again. I'm not trained in html so still trying to get the hang of it. Appreciate the help!

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

agree with Frank. doesn't look like the issue is shown here, could be on the containing table or in the CSS -- need more/all code to dive deeper.

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

Unfortunately whoever created the template, put it together with a bit of a hack, without completely rewriting, attached is code with correct markup and whitespace reduced as much as possible. Just to note if you reduce the whitespace anymore, it will then reduce the CTA size as it's directly connected.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Frank, yes unfortunately, it was put together with some hacks.. which is causing a lot of pain for a rookie to figure it out. Is there anyway to disconnect the CTA and the whitespace table size?

I tested sending the email to myself. In outlook (desktop), the top CTA is below the masthead img. Will it be the codes problem or just because its outlook? It looks fine on my mobile.

Cheers!

Amelia

Frank_Breen2
Level 10

Even know the button seems to be image box, it actually located in the white area:

code.png

In the styling, you'll see bottom: 65px; which make the button appear above the image, unfortunately bottom is not supported in some email clients.

To get your email to look as it's coded now, requires the entire top to be recoded, as the image header is a solid image, where as it seem you really it to be a image background, that would require extra coding.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess we probably need to get it recoded. Thanks Frank!