SOLVED

Re: Where do the 'reply-to' emails actually go?!

Go to solution
Lisa_Forson
Level 3

Where do the 'reply-to' emails actually go?!

Hi all,

I have trawled through the community and the product docs but haven't quite managed to answer this yet......and it might sound like a dumb question so please bear with me because we are new to this!

When we are sending out customer emails, I understand we can use any valid 'from' and 'reply to' address that's associated with our company. My question is, if a customer was to hit 'reply to' and physically send a message back to that email address, where does it actually go?!  Does it go back to Marketo and we can monitor these responses within the platform itself?  Where in Marketo would we monitor this?

My understanding is that the 'reply to path' for Marketo emails means that they will be returned to Marketo itself, and not to a mailbox or person to monitor responses.  

Thank you,

Lisa

P.S. If it makes any difference, we are relaying all our Marketo emails through our company server. 

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

An email generated via the Reply/Reply All button is routed like any other email.

If your Reply-To address is @ your corporate domain, then the email goes directly to your company's mailserver via the usual SMTP MX lookup + send mechanism. It doesn't go to Marketo.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SanfordWhiteman

An email generated via the Reply/Reply All button is routed like any other email.

If your Reply-To address is @ your corporate domain, then the email goes directly to your company's mailserver via the usual SMTP MX lookup + send mechanism. It doesn't go to Marketo.

Lisa_Forson
Level 3

As always, thank you so much for your help Sanford!

Michael_Florin
Level 10

I'd just like to add that if you really do want get a grip on these responses in Marketo, you'd need to pull in a third party like Siftrock. Siftrock integrates nicely with Marketo, removes the auto-response noise, allows forwarding human responses to certain people on your organization, and it gives Marketo all kinds of triggers to "understand" email replies and act on them.

Carrie_Chandle1
Level 6 - Community Advisor

^second this. 

kdavid
Level 1

Is there a way to track how many of these email recipients sent a "reply to" email without using Siftrock?  Does Marketo have any way of tracking this?

Tags (1)
SanfordWhiteman

Marketo doesn't receive human replies. So it can't possibly count them. You can simply check the inbox they were sent to, if you don't care about the sifting part.