When to use a program vs. a smart campaign

Anonymous
Not applicable

When to use a program vs. a smart campaign

Hi - I am new to Marketo in a company that is about to implement Marketo shortly. I will be a Marketo admin.

I am trying to visualize our structure and the standard practices we will use to adapt our preexisting Marketing functions to Marketo.

I understand that programs and smart campaigns each have their own automation functions, but I am confused as to when you would use each. When would I need to use only a program, when would it make sense to have a program with a smart campaign?

It would really help me a lot if someone could give me the best practices of when to use each.

Let me know if my question is clear-

3 REPLIES 3
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: When to use a program vs. a smart campaign

Hi Nicole,

Program have no automation. They are containers that can include related assets, such as emails, landing pages, forms, lists, smart lists AND smart campaigns. This container usually corresponds to a Marketing campaign.

One of the best practices is that you should never create a smart campaign outside of a program, event if it is technically possible.

I am urging you to take some more training Whoever told you you could be a Marketo admin without sufficient training played you a bad trick.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - I was specifically thinking of a Nurture program which has its own sort of workflow. I know Smart Campaigns can do things similar to this workflow. Automation was probably the wrong word to use in relation to that.

Thanks very much for your advice, I appreciate it.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Nicole,

Then the question is when to use EP vs smart campaign in a std program...

EP are easier when you need to evolve the content. Marketo will keep track of what content will be sent to whom, even if you change the order of these content. The casts can only be sent on a fixed cadence.

Smart campaigns have the exact opposite advantages and drawbacks

-Greg