Re: When to use Marketo for email sends vs. other tools

Valerie_Armstro
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

When to use Marketo for email sends vs. other tools

Hi Marketing Central - I'm curious if anyone has created any time of document/decision tree of when a Marketo is necessary for an email send vs. other tools (e.g. Salesforce Email Alerts, YesWare, etc.)

I'm working on my own right now to share with my colleagues outside Marketing and considering things such as the number of email to be sent, size of the target list, if it's a one-time send vs. transactional vs. ongoing nurture program, etc.  Is there anything else you would add to this list?

6 REPLIES 6
Kristen_Malkov1
Level 8

Hey Valerie--are you distinguishing between marketing and sales generated emails? Or just marketing generated emails?

Also for SFDC--are you talking lead alerts or actual emails out of SFDC?

Valerie_Armstro
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hey Kristen Malkovich​ - we have a lot of internal teams outside of marketing and sales that have email program requests which they want to execute through Marketo (because Marketo is just for email, right? eeek!), but may be better done outside of Marketo using other tools.   I'm trying to create a document that helps them better understand which tool(s) we have available and can help them execute and meet their requirements for an email campaign - such as SFDC Email Alerts (actual emails out of SFDC), YesWare templates, etc.

Kristen_Malkov1
Level 8

I've always found external tools to be difficult, although utilizing YesWare and/or Outreach (my preference) is always the best for Sales/demo emails. I tend to divide the two buckets into Marketo (marketing/content) and Outreach (sales/demo schedule).

Are you using MSI for emails? I feel like that might help for the grey area...

Aslihan_Ayan_Ha
Level 7

We have used MSI for initial sales conversations and  yesware for sales communications that were more specific per client, day to day client communication.

Autumn_Mahoney1
Level 3

Valerie Armstrong​ and Kristen Malkovich​. If your Sales team uses YesWare, do you give them any special URL parameters to help connect the emailed person to their Marketo record upon clickthrough? I'd like to be able to make sure that the SFDC record is cookied and matched with the Marketo Lead upon click so that they don't remain anonymous until form fill.

Colin_Mann
Level 5

We went through a similar exercise a while ago and decided to keep it simple i.e.

a) If an email isn't going to drive demand (e.g. some of our e-newsletters, product updates, all internal communications) then we use e-Marketeer and;

b) For small email sends, e.g. to a small number of our sales partners owned by the particular Sales/Channel Account Manager in SFDC, then Sales can use SFDC.

Everything else is built in Marketo because of the better features for analytics, reporting, and design etc. In our case only Marketing and Corporate Communications issue emails in large batches - Sales don't have the access and have to brief Marketing.