Re: When is a duplicate lead created?

Anonymous
Not applicable

When is a duplicate lead created?

We have a duplicate lead and contact. The contact was created back in sfdc 2012. However, the lead was uploaded to mkto recently and they both have the same email address. Why was a duplicate record made in sfdc?

Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Adam_Vavrek1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Hi D,
Do you have a recurring campaign that removes leads from Marketo?
When you search for the email address in Marketo's Lead Database, do two records appear?
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't believe we have a campaign to remove leads from Marketo. When I search for this person's email address in Marketo there is only one record.

Adam_Vavrek1

One of those leads must exist in SFDC and not Marketo. Since there is only one lead with that email address in Marketo, Marketo did not make a dupe record.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adam - can you please clarify why a dupulicate was created in sfdc?
Adam_Vavrek1

The original lead existed in Salesforce and not in Marketo which is why Marketo didn't recognize the duplicate and pushed the new lead over the Salesforce. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct me if I wrong, but if this lead - let's just call him David. If David originally existed in SFDC back in 2012 wouldn't he have been created in Marketo, too, considering both systems are bidirectionally synced? Then a user recently uploaded David's duplicate in MKTO (MKTO did not create a dupe), but SFDC created David again with the same email address.

If it's easier = So before the upload, there was a David in MKTO and a David in SFDC. Then he was created again (via MKTO) with the same email address which created the dupe.