SOLVED

Re: When does a Cookie meet and match it's lead?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

When does a Cookie meet and match it's lead?

I imported approx 8k leads, with 600 being brand new and the rest previously existed in our DB since September 19th (from another list import). As a whole, they have taken little action across our landing pages, emails, or demand gen engine, however approx 7500 were send a newsletter email last month.

Since these leads are in our DB, they technically qualify as "known?" My question is if they visit a Marketo Landing page, will that action be tracked/linked with the correct lead? We are targeting that import via a Linkedin Ad Campaign. From the Linkedin ads, we are driving them to a Marketo Landing Page, if they click the CTA button they are routed to a 2nd Thank you Landing Page.

Will I be able to set up a listening campaign that triggers on "Visits Web Page" = 2nd Thank you Landing Page to capture the leads that successfully engage with the ad campaign without a form? or does the CTA need to feature a form to connect the web page visit with the lead that already exists in our Database?

Thank you for any insight!!

Sonia

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

OK, here are your answers:

• Yes, every lead in your database is known, by definition (and the definitions can be confusing). Usually, we care more about known-ness from the browser side.
  • A Munchkin cookie always sends activities to Marketo (as long as JS is enabled) and those activities can either be associated with a known lead or not at any point in time. (You can rephrase "not" as associated with an anonymous lead, since technically this is true, but there are growing differences between anonymous, er, things and known leads, so it might be better to just say "not.")
  • A given activity can move from being not associated with a known lead, to being associated with known lead A, to being associated with known lead B, and back to A, over time (while rare, this kind of movement can cause madness in longitudinal reporting).
  • In order for activities to be associated with a known lead, one of the following must occur:
    • The lead follows a link from a Marketo-generated email with the mkt_tok attached to the query string (this is the default for tracked links).
    • The lead fills out a form (possibly creating a new lead as well as associating with that lead).
    • Your page automatically submits a form in the background. This can be useful in cases where the URL contains the email address, but the email was not sent via Marketo, so association.would not be automatic but can be easily simulated.
    • Your page uses the Munchkin associateLead function to tie together a session with an existing or new lead. This underused function is for cases where, for example, your CMS knows who someone is based on some other form of authentication like a portal login. Another case where I've used this method is when sends are going out from a 3rd-party agency/server and you don't want to append the literal email address in the URL because it looks too obvious (I don't really care about this, but some do).
    • Your webserver uses a server-side form post to simulate the lead filling out a form (not recommended and deprecated). This is also the way integrations like Twitter Cards work.
    • Your webserver or other apps use a Marketo REST or SOAP API call (syncLead/associateLead/pushLead). These methods are not recommended unless your architecture strictly requires them.

So the overall takeaway is that if the link that someone follows to your site doesn't contain one of the types of lead-specific information, and they do not identify themselves via form fillout, they will not be associated.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
SanfordWhiteman

Please move the question to Products and I'll answer it there (this area is for questions about the Nation/Community website, not the Marketo product).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Sanford, moved.

SanfordWhiteman

OK, here are your answers:

• Yes, every lead in your database is known, by definition (and the definitions can be confusing). Usually, we care more about known-ness from the browser side.
  • A Munchkin cookie always sends activities to Marketo (as long as JS is enabled) and those activities can either be associated with a known lead or not at any point in time. (You can rephrase "not" as associated with an anonymous lead, since technically this is true, but there are growing differences between anonymous, er, things and known leads, so it might be better to just say "not.")
  • A given activity can move from being not associated with a known lead, to being associated with known lead A, to being associated with known lead B, and back to A, over time (while rare, this kind of movement can cause madness in longitudinal reporting).
  • In order for activities to be associated with a known lead, one of the following must occur:
    • The lead follows a link from a Marketo-generated email with the mkt_tok attached to the query string (this is the default for tracked links).
    • The lead fills out a form (possibly creating a new lead as well as associating with that lead).
    • Your page automatically submits a form in the background. This can be useful in cases where the URL contains the email address, but the email was not sent via Marketo, so association.would not be automatic but can be easily simulated.
    • Your page uses the Munchkin associateLead function to tie together a session with an existing or new lead. This underused function is for cases where, for example, your CMS knows who someone is based on some other form of authentication like a portal login. Another case where I've used this method is when sends are going out from a 3rd-party agency/server and you don't want to append the literal email address in the URL because it looks too obvious (I don't really care about this, but some do).
    • Your webserver uses a server-side form post to simulate the lead filling out a form (not recommended and deprecated). This is also the way integrations like Twitter Cards work.
    • Your webserver or other apps use a Marketo REST or SOAP API call (syncLead/associateLead/pushLead). These methods are not recommended unless your architecture strictly requires them.

So the overall takeaway is that if the link that someone follows to your site doesn't contain one of the types of lead-specific information, and they do not identify themselves via form fillout, they will not be associated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! You're a superstar.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This was really helpful and answered a nagging question in the back of my head for awhile now. Thank you!!

SanfordWhiteman

Great, Zach. If you have any other Munchkin Qs feel free to DM me... I want to consolidate a lot of this on my blog (as usual, when I have time!).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sanford, thank you for the above post super helpful! We have a couple instance though, where if you fill out a form and then browse pages this does not get automatically tracking in the lead's history. Is it still true that: "In order for activities to be associated with a known lead, one of the following must occur: The lead fills out a form (possibly creating a new lead as well as associating with that lead)". Specifically, that if you are using marketo embedded forms on a non-marketo landing page, does the form fill associate the lead's browsing activity after the form fill? It does not seem to work for us. Many thanks! Linda Timo Reimann

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, this works identically on a non-Marketo page with an embedded form.

Of course the user must allow cookies (not enable Tracking Protection or equivalent browser plugins). What is an example URL where you're hosting an embedded form?

Anonymous
Not applicable

For example this page: https://www.spratings.com/en_US/email-us  form fill creates a Filled out form log but no page views logs. thanks!  Timo Reimann