SOLVED

Re: When a customer fills out a referral form, is there a way to use the new lead's info to automatically create a lead?

Go to solution
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

When a customer fills out a referral form, is there a way to use the new lead's info to automatically create a lead?

Hello Community,

I am building a referral form for our customers to submit referrals to us for referral credit. The new referral's company and contact info will be captured via custom fields. Is there a way that those custom fields can be used to create a lead automatically? Or is the only way to manually create the new lead by sending an alert with those new referral's custom fields tokened?

Also I prefer to have the customer appear to be filling out the form (customer email in system email field) for reporting purposes as opposed to having it appear the new referral is (new referral email in system email field) since then you deal with the munchkin tracking being associated with the new lead if the code is not disabled. This way the customer lead is who is executing the flow step upon form fill.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Devraj_Grewal

Re: When a customer fills out a referral form, is there a way to use the new lead's info to automatically create a lead?

Appreciate the help. I believe I am going to opt for this method: How to Build Multi-part Forms and disable munchkin on the subsequent landing pages.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Devraj,

Within Marketo, no. Typically, this can be done using webhooks. You can also use another form that you post in the background with the referral info. See in this thread how to do it: Re: Referral Form Best Practice

-Greg

Josh_Hill13

There are several threads related to affiliate, referral, and partner submitted leads.

The need you have is best achieved with custom code or a special partner tool.

Devraj_Grewal

Appreciate the help. I believe I am going to opt for this method: How to Build Multi-part Forms and disable munchkin on the subsequent landing pages.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You don't need a multi-part form per se.  It can all be one form: you post each of the referrals when they click submit (loop over the form data and submit again). 

I've built forms where someone can refer unlimited people at a time (hitting an "add more" button to add additional referral sections).  It's easy once you understand the order of operations.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I thought I'd weigh in here with a simple solution that I'm currently using. It's definitely the fastest way to going live, though a little simplistic. We have a form that states all of the referral information being entered as the new lead being created (just get crafty with the field labelling to show the intention of who's info is being entered). To capture who is creating the referral (if credit is due financially or morally), we've created a few custom fields which hold that information which we are using to identify the referrer. You'll have to take special consideration of this depending on how your referral program is structured, but it essentially has all the elements and only requires a few custom field creations.

Hope that helps & I'd love to hear any feedback on this method as I've just intuitively built it out and it seems to be working.

Cheers!

Kyle

Kat_Narvaez
Level 2

Hi Kyle,

This is exactly what I was planning on doing, but I'd also like to add the referrer to our newsletter list (assuming that even though they're customers, they might not be subscribed to our newsletter list) simultaneously. So basically create two lead record from one form. Any suggestions on this? I like Sanford's idea, just not sure how to implement it.

~Kat

Michael_Mason
Level 4

Hey Kyle, I'd like to implement something similar, but I have a couple questions.

• Are you disabling the munchkin code? If you're not, aren't you overwriting your referrer's info when they enter new information?
  • If you are disabling it, how are you loading the referrers info into your new custom fields? Tokens?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

aren't you overwriting your referrer's info when they enter new information?

Mike, when a form is posted with a value for Email and a Munchkin session ID, that doesn't overwrite field values for the lead previously associated with the session (assuming that's what you mean by "info").

It's the reverse in a way: the session is reassociated with a new/updated lead if the Email identifies another lead in your database. (This applies to forms in general, not just when you're using a Referral Form pattern.) So session activity moves to the new lead's Activity Log, but that doesn't affect the earlier lead's static info.

A successful Referral Form implementation, like you suggest, first and foremost involves removing the Munchkin session ID from the form before submission, so the reassociation worry is taken care of. 

Next, if the form is on a Marketo LP (the best move for this) you can set the referrer's email address in a custom field like Referrer Email (yes, using an explicit {{lead.token}} as opposed to native Pre-Fill, which won't work for this case).

The above will take care of your needs, as long as all you care about in terms of referral credit is looking at a field on the referral.

If you want to have a field on the referrer's record also reflect the referral (for example, to increment a score or for other reporting) you can do that be re-posting the form as the referrer -- with the referral's info, in this case, stored in a field like Last Referral. Then maintain a history field Referral History with all the past referrals.