What's the best way to do campaign scoring?

Danielle_Wong
Level 8 - Community Advisor

What's the best way to do campaign scoring?

I know there are person scores and lead scoring, however, we are looking to drill down by campaign.

I was thinking of creating a new field called Campaign A Score. Campaign members would start off with a Campaign Score of 0. Then I would set up triggers to update the score based on whether they opened, clicked, visited website, unsubscribed, etc. 

After the campaign is completed. I would be able to view the campaign members in a smart list, pull in the Campaign A Score column and determine who would be the top leads from the campaign. 

What are your thoughts on this process? Am I missing anything?

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: What's the best way to do campaign scoring?

While what you're describing is not terrible idea, you'd be creating a new custom Score field for every campaign. That will eventually get impossible to manage sanely. 

Semantically speaking, I'm not clear on how your goal differs from a program status progression. You can have multiple success statuses with different grades. And by cloning a master program template, you have a lot less to do from scratch.

Danielle_Wong
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Thanks Sanford. You do bring up some great points.

I don't intend to do this for every campaign. Just the larger campaigns we are running throughout the year. So the scoring would help in terms of prioritizing a large amount of prospects, leads, mqls, etc.

Program statuses are fine/useful, and we'd still be using that to group people into, however, the scoring we put in place for certain campaigns can give our sales team greater insight for priority. That's really the goal here. I would also be creating a template program specifically with these scoring triggers in place (as we have created for our other programs).  So initial set up will be most time consuming. Creating a new field for each campaign's scoring will phase out and be deleted or reused for future campaigns, so it won't be impossible to manage. The specific campaign scoring will only hold its value for so long.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

If it's just for certain high-value campaigns then it should be fine.

You can also think about the new member-level field feature (which isn't out yet).

I'm generally opposed to anything non-deletable or expressly reusable in Marketo, IMO fields + values should maintain the same meaning for as long as they exist. I use Custom Objects instead of one-time fields, for example.