SOLVED

Re: What is the "reason" constraint supposed to contain in a "Data Value Changes" trigger ?

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the "reason" constraint supposed to contain in a "Data Value Changes" trigger ?

The picklists come up empty for both "source" and "reason" in the Data Value Changes constraint. This thread started by Grégoire Michel discusses the same thing but focuses on the "source" constraint - and concludes that the list of acceptable values are the same as those for the Source Type (such as in the "Person is Created" trigger) - and that those values are documented here: Understanding System Managed Fields - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation

Does anyone know what the reason constraint is supposed to contain?

Its seems like these two constraints could be useful for documenting the source for GDPR (or CASL) opt-in.

Thank you!

Denise

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: What is the "reason" constraint supposed to contain in a "Data Value Changes" trigger ?

Hi Denise,

some examples of DVC Reasons, extracted from a live instance:

SourceReason
sfdcSynched from salesforce.com Account ID XXXX
sfdcSynched from salesforce.com Contact ID XXXX
sfdcSynched from salesforce.com Lead ID  XXXX
Web form filloutForm fill-out, URL: XXX
N/AChanged by Smart Campaign XXX action Change Data Value

-Greg

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Denise,

some examples of DVC Reasons, extracted from a live instance:

SourceReason
sfdcSynched from salesforce.com Account ID XXXX
sfdcSynched from salesforce.com Contact ID XXXX
sfdcSynched from salesforce.com Lead ID  XXXX
Web form filloutForm fill-out, URL: XXX
N/AChanged by Smart Campaign XXX action Change Data Value

-Greg

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

Hi Greg,

Thank you! Silly me - I realized after I posted the question that I could just look in the activity log. It's frustrating to me that you can't access the values in the "source" and "reason" constraints in the flow. For example, with GDPR and CASL in mind, wouldn't it be useful to have a token for DVC reason that could be copied into a field? E.g., DVC Changes->Opt-In->New Value=True. Flow: copy value from DVC reason into an Opt-In Source field.

- Denise

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Denise,

Pretty easy to create your own custom field to handle this info.

-Greg

Denise_Greenb12
Level 7

I don't know. It seems to me there is room for error due to unpredictable timing. For example:

Trigger: Data Value Changes->Opt-In = True

Filter:

Filled Out Form->Is Any-> In past 10 minutes

Flow:

If Most Recent Form name is ABC

Change Opt-In Source to Filled Out Form ABC

Or

Trigger: Fills Out Form

Filter:

Data Value Changed->Opt-In->In Past 10 minutes

Flow: Change Opt-In Source to: {{lead.Most Recent Form Name}}

Seems to me that leaves open the possibility for the person to go on and fill out another form in the interim and have that 2nd form credited as the Opt-In Source. I'm looking for the best way to ensure we capture the correct source for Opt-Ins. Is there something obvious that I'm overlooking? Am I overthinking the potential time gap? Am I having a senior several moments?

And what's the best way to grab the web page URL where the form lives (this company doesn't use Marketo LPs) - and there's no parameter appended to the URLs. (i.e. goal would be opt-in source = "filled out form on abc web page").

By the way - I wanted to mark your original reply as "correct answer" but can't seem to spot how to do that.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Denise,

Trigger + filters are always a little dangerous if the filter is supposed to refer to the event in the trigger in one way or another.

Add the Change Opt-In Source field to the form as a hidden one and populate it with a default value or a cookie value or a url parameter value.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

If I do that, how do I make sure that the hidden Opt-In Source field is populated only if the Opt-In field has been checked?

- Denise

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Denise,

Possible only with some JS.

-Greg