SOLVED

Re: What is "Marketo Engage"?

Go to solution
Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

What is "Marketo Engage"?

For those who attended the Adobe Summit this year, the phrase "Marketo Engage" kept getting thrown around when talking about the platform itself. I was waiting for some kind of introduction to the new nomenclature and why "Engage" was needed, and maybe I missed it, but I eventually asked my CSM in person at Summit. The answer was vague and brushed off as simply synonymous with "Marketo" (when talking about the tool/platform). I haven't heard any lay users actually refer to it this way. My guess is the leadership is trying to get everyone accustomed to the word "engage" so that it won't be as big of a shock when Adobe changes the product to Adobe Engage. Going from Marketo to Adobe Engage is a bigger jolt than going from Marketo Engage to Adobe Engage. Is there more to this that I didn't hear about?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Michael_Tucker1
Level 4

Jeff Smith​ you're right it's basically the new name of the product within the Adobe Ecosystem. I received the same response that you did from your CSM, but the way that I see it they're using the name change to help position Marketo within the Adobe Ecosystem... there might be a testing element at Summit to see the audience sentiment around this change.

Essentially, if you look at the language that was used in the keynotes around Magento and calling that Adobe Commerce Cloud, I think it's a safe bet to assume that's where they're heading.

If you're interested in how they're evolving, I'd highly recommend watching the learning session called Better Together: the Unrivaled B2B Adobe Experience Cloud. There are a lot of new doors that will open up between these new systems and, for the businesses that choose to step through them, I think some pretty interesting opportunities will emerge.

Michael Tucker

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

Ok, I just found this blog that I hadn't seen: Guide to Marketo Product Updates from Adobe Summit 2019 . The only explanation there, though, is "Marketo was referred to as 'Marketo Engage' throughout keynotes and on signage in the expo hall. It’s clear that 'Marketo' as a single-word brand is going to disappear." I guess that makes the same assumption I did. Weird, though, that they just started using it without any sort of intro or explanation.

Chris_Wilcox
Level 9

It's the new name of the platform. Marketo Engage, formerly known as Marketo.

Michael_Tucker1
Level 4

Jeff Smith​ you're right it's basically the new name of the product within the Adobe Ecosystem. I received the same response that you did from your CSM, but the way that I see it they're using the name change to help position Marketo within the Adobe Ecosystem... there might be a testing element at Summit to see the audience sentiment around this change.

Essentially, if you look at the language that was used in the keynotes around Magento and calling that Adobe Commerce Cloud, I think it's a safe bet to assume that's where they're heading.

If you're interested in how they're evolving, I'd highly recommend watching the learning session called Better Together: the Unrivaled B2B Adobe Experience Cloud. There are a lot of new doors that will open up between these new systems and, for the businesses that choose to step through them, I think some pretty interesting opportunities will emerge.

Michael Tucker
Jeff_Smith3
Level 7

Awesome, thanks for that additional feedback and link!

Kristine_Faxon
Level 2

I picked up on this, too, and it was new to our CSM. I also noted that everything from the main stage (aside from Steve Lucas' time), and often elsewhere, referred to Marketo Engage as the B-to-B solution. It looks like maybe this is because Adobe Campaign is the consumer solution, but it's discouraging to those of us that aren't B-to-B. My hope is that the product roadmap isn't dedicated to B-to-B improvements and enhancements.

Badsah_Mukherji
Marketo Employee

Hi Kristine, you don't have to worry about our focus on B2B. It's true that the positioning of Marketo Engage is B2B vs. Campaign as B2C, moving forward. However, we're not going to forget our B2C customers. To that end, we are continuing to do enhancements (such as performance and scalability of batch email campaigns) that will benefit everyone. Also, we will borrow capabilities from each other and integrate Marketo Engage and Adobe Experience Cloud where it makes sense. Finally, we want to break down the silos between B2B and B2C. It's what Steve Lucas calls B2E: Business to Everyone, as he explained at Adobe Summit in his keynote address:

Adobe Summit 2019—The Digital Experience Conference | March 24–28, 2019

Five Key Insights From The Adobe Summit

Badsah Mukherji (he/him) | Senior Group Product Manager, Adobe Marketo Engage and B2B Customer Journeys | ADOBE
Badsah_Mukherji
Marketo Employee

Hi Jeff,

Marketo has always been the company brand, although customers have referred to the product by the same name. Technically, the solution was called the Marketo Engagement Platform, a mouthful. Adobe Branding renamed the product Marketo Engage. Short and sweet, like other Adobe products. This has had a cascading effect. To avoid confusion, Marketo Sales Engage (MSE, nee ToutApp) has been rebranded as Marketo Sales Connect (MSC). Other branding changes: ContentAI is now Predictive Content and AccountAI (part of the ABM solution) is Account Profiling. And soon, we'll be introducing the beta of Predictive Audiences (vs. AudienceAI).

Given the strength of the Marketo brand, Adobe has allowed us to call our division "Marketo, an Adobe Company" for the foreseeable future, so it doesn't get lost. That's exactly how they handled Magento (now Magento, an Adobe Company, with the product called Magento Commerce). Of course, we are all 100% Adobe. But we still love purple.

Thanks.

Badsah Mukherji (he/him) | Senior Group Product Manager, Adobe Marketo Engage and B2B Customer Journeys | ADOBE
Amy_Goldfine
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Thanks, this is so helpful! All the name changes have been confusing

Amy Goldfine
Marketo Champion & Adobe Community Advisor