Re: What is lost when removing lead from engagement program?

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is lost when removing lead from engagement program?

Hi! I am 98% sure I have a proper use case for removing leads from engagement programs, not just pausing them.

In short summary: we have 4 engagement programs, each based the lead's job function, and then streams based on lifecycle. If a lead drastically changes jobs, from marketing to IT for example, I want them to change engagement programs too. I don't want to simply "pause" them in the old program because then I can't really use the pause feature for temporary pauses (like a pause during a disruptive campaign).

So if  I remove from their old program...what data is lost? Is it stuff that in this use case I can lose?
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You lose all of the data that appears in the Summary/Dashboard as well as the data that tells Marketo if the lead received the Cast content already.

Why can't you pause them? You can also dump the leads into an empty Stream.

But if you are relying on a traffic cop that listens for leads already in an Engagement, then you'd have to pull them out OR modify the listen campaign to only listen for Engagement = Normal.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Josh.

So here is my problem in use case form.

I don't know Bob's job function so he goes into our general catch-all engagement program. But then I find out Bob works in marketing so now he goes into the marketing engagement program but he's also still in the general engagement program as "paused." Now  I want to briefly pause everyone in their engagement programs briefly so I can send everyone our new research report on the day it is released without overloading them on emails this week. But when I go to put Bob back to normal cadence...he gets put to normal cadence on both engagement programs and now he's getting tons of content. 

Another problem I run into is...I don't know Sally's job function so she goes into the general catch-all engagement program. But then I find out Sally works in fundraising so I want her in the fundraising engagement program. The flow for that ends up looking like
  • change engagement program cadence, if member of engagement program true, change general engagement program to paused
  • change engagement program cadence, if member of engagement program true, change marketing engagement program to paused
  • change engagement program cadence, if member of engagement program true, change admin/operations engagement program to paused
So then old Sally ends up in the fundraising engagement program with a normal cadence but is in the other 3 as paused. Talk about messy!

In case more background helps: My company provides a wide range of services to nonprofits. We're happy to communicate to anyone from the nonprofits with an interest in our services but obviously some are a better fit for making decisions than others. Presently the job function for nearly half my database is unknown. I definitely want them in an engagement program though, hence the need for a general catch-all.

You will be my best friend for life if you can advise how to change the flows or whatever else to ensure that my leads are only active in their one appropriate engagement program.
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Cheryl, it sounds like you should aim for a controller that will only allow someone to be active in a single engagement campaign at a time. You can also potentially use this controller to do your pause/unpause of all engagement, if you aren't already doing this. This way you can keep record of the engagement emails they've already received, but also ensure that they won't receive emails from multiple programs at the same time.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dory - yes, that sounds great! How would I set that up?
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Cheryl, there's an example here, and I know there was discussion of this at Summit in the University day, but I can't find recordings of it online. Phillip from Marketo is awesome at explaning it, so maybe someone from Marketo can ask him to chime in here?  🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Dory! The solution in that thread is similar to what I've ended up with so at least I don't feel crazy. Out of curiosity, how do you structure your engagement programs?