What are the Pros and Cons of having a Dedicated IP address to send

Anonymous
Not applicable

What are the Pros and Cons of having a Dedicated IP address to send

WE are having a huge amount of emails being blocked through SHared IP addresses.

REasons include:

a) 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host [199.15.215.79] blocked using dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net; IP 199.15.215.79 is UCEPROTECT-Level 1 listed. See http://www.uceprotect.net/rblcheck.php?ipr=199.15.215.79

b) 550 199.15.215.78 blacklisted at dnsbl.sorbs.net

c) 550 5.0.0 <510-OJP-651.0.1658.0.0.1636.7.1196523@em-sj-77.mktomail.com>... REJECT:Blacklist.

d) 550 [internal] [oob] The message was blocked by the receiver as coming from a known spam source.

e) 554 Blocked - see https://support.proofpoint.com/dnsbl-lookup.cgi?ip=199.15.215.81

We have been advised to convert to using a Dedicated IP address by the Support team.

WHat are the Pros and Cons of using a Dedicated IP address?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: What are the Pros and Cons of having a Dedicated IP address to send

The only drawback is remembering to go to Edit Settings to select the sending IP each time a new email is created.

There is no risk of having delivery failures caused by a shared IP blacklisted by SpamCop or Spamhaus. It also simplifies whitelisting.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Chirstina,

below is the difference between shared and dedicated IP:

Shared IP addresses Dedicated IP address
Used by multiple accounts holder Used for single account
Can monitor on

1. The IP usage

Can't monitor on

1. Blacklisted status
2. Blacklisting Cause and by which service provide
Can monitor on

1. The IP usage
2. Blacklisted status
3. Blacklisting Cause and by which service provide
Avaliable free of cost (most of the time) Avaliable on extra cost

Hope this will help you.
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If you have a high volume of emails and can afford the single IP, then you should do it. I believe Marketo was charging $4000/yr, but that was a couple of years ago. Sometimes they'll bundle it if you press them.

If your shared IP is getting blacklisted, you need to call Support and ask for a new shared IP. Clearly someone on that IP is sending bad email and not conforming to CANSPAM.

My understanding of the dedicated IP is you do not have to do anything like select it. Once Marketo has set it up and you move your SPF/DKIM over, there's nothing to select. Just use the correct sub-domains. For instance, I set my SPF/DKIM to approve my IP as a valid sender for mydomain.com, news.mydomain.com, etc. Then you just write that in the FROM EMAIL when you setup the email address.