Website Lead Source Tracking in Marketo PPC vs Organic

Anonymous
Not applicable

Website Lead Source Tracking in Marketo PPC vs Organic

On our website, we have gated materials through marketo landing pages and also Marketo forms on other pages.

We want to be able to track the original traffic source (PPC or Organic) and assign the proper Lead Source to leads as soon as they fill out a form, regardless of the form they fill out. Is it something possible

Lets say someone comes from PPC and lands in the home page. The person navigates 4 other pages and then decides to download a gated material on the 5th page, which this 5th page could be a marketo landing page or not. How can we do it?

Ideally we want to save the search term both for PPC and Organic traffic.

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Website Lead Source Tracking in Marketo PPC vs Organic

You can do this by creating a few smart campaigns. Visited Web Page, Referring URL contains... There are several filters you'll need to create to track each of these different sources.

Google no longer passes search queries on, all of them are displayed as [not provided] so you can't capture that information. In PPC you can add the keyword that triggered the ad to the URL, but that's not the same as the query.
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You may need to add javascript to enahnce your cookie such that the URL parameters are passed on to each page as the user proceeds. Otherwise, you will lose that data.

Your URL from PPC will need to include all of the items you want to track and then place those in hidden fields as well as doing what Adam suggests.

I believe you can do this with organic if your default page adds ?source=organic

or something like that. Not quite sure how one does that part.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the replies. I pass the required parameters in my adwords URL. I have no problem if the users land in a Marketo page. The problem starts when they land on the website and then fill out a form on a Marketo landing page.
Are you aware of a guid or something that I can study for it?

Thanks!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I ran into this issue a few months ago and went to the lengths of the earth with Marketo support and couldn't hack it. I wanted to capture any URL parameters if they existed, anytime anyone hit the site. I discovered that Marketo can look for specific URL parameters, like "UTM_region=US" and put the "US" in a field you've created for "UTM_region", but it couldn't return the value of the UTM parameter if you gave them what URL parameter to look for, at least not out of the box. For example, it won't be able to capture the "US" field if you told it to look for "UTM_region". So you'd have to create a set of logic for every possible value for each one of these fields. If you're not using a lot of values, that could be possible, but if you want to get to the keyword combinations, this becomes unrealistic.

It was frustrating, but I'm still looking for a solution. Just thought I'd share.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Charlie L,

I'm heading down the same path. Could you clarify? Do you mean that Marketo cannot capture the value "US" if you didn't pre-define a field for UTM_region? Or, if defined, it still couldn't pass the field?

Also, was this only at a form fill or storing it for anonymous visitors?