SOLVED

We have over 200 locations, how do I dynamically send leads to each one?

Go to solution
Adam_Wingate
Level 2

We have over 200 locations, how do I dynamically send leads to each one?

Hello,

I am working on setting up a workflow for our website leads to be sent dynamically to one of our over 200 hundred branch locations after a Marketo form fill. I was initially going to use segmentation to manage this, but have now realized that segmentation only supports up to 100 options. Is there a good work around for this? My other thought is to setup smart campaigns for each of the locations to send the leads to the correct location, however I am worried that this will become really difficult to maintain as the person's email address at each location can change and I would have to find the right campaign and make the changes in the flow step. Could I manage all of this through tokens somehow?

If anyone else has run in to this issue and has a good solution I would greatly appreciate it!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: We have over 200 locations, how do I dynamically send leads to each one?

The desire to avoid routing via a Smart Campaign choices (which is understandable) leaves you with 2 options:

1. Choose the lead owner on the client, using your location identifier, and add the owner address right to the form.  You can store the map of locations-to-owners in a my.token and then include that token in the page (assuming this is a Marketo-hosted LP) or if not a Marketo LP, include the map in a standalone file.  Again, quite easy to execute -- the possible drawback being, if you care about such things, the fact that the locations and contacts would be visible if someone started snooping into your page. If this is public info anyway, though (like you could find it via your website) I would hope this wouldn't be problematic, but it's your call.
  2. Add the location identifier only to the form. In a trigger campaign, pass the identifier together with a the location-to-owner map (again stored in a my.token) to a webhook engine. The response maps back to the lead owner field.  The end result is the same as the forms-side approach, but it hides the map from prying eyes.

[2] is my preferred way when possible, as we have such infrastructure already built and it would take 1 minute to set up in Marketo.  But not all instances are ready for that leap, and on a small project, to ruffle the fewest feathers I'd go with [1].

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

You mentioned "correct location", I assume the assignment is geography based? if not what are your lead assignment rules?

Also, are you just sending alert emails or are you changing lead owners as well?

SanfordWhiteman

As Jay says, you need to elaborate on what "correct" means here. If you already plan to populate a ​lead-level field with the owner (whether you do the routing in Marketo or in CRM) then simply ​Send Alert ​to the corresponding {{lead.token}} in the all-powerful ​To Other Emails ​box.

If you're OK with exposing the list of possible owners on the browser side -- that is, it'll be visible in view-source if someone is curious, I don't mean exposed in the visible web page -- then lead assignment can be done on the form itself. You can then use complex logic based on field values + geography (which may be impossible to duplicate in a Smart Campaign alone). Then add the owner as a hidden field.

But again, you need to go back to the root: how will you establish a relationship between lead and location? Sending the email isn't really the hurdle.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

you need to map the decision tree on paper and then decide how to implement it. Marketo is probably NOT the place to do a 200 choice routing. SFDC may work better depending on the actual rules in place.

Adam_Wingate
Level 2

Hi Jay and Sanford,

You are right the leads need to broken out geographically. They will be given a location identifier that is stored on a cookie on the website. I am planning to pass these in to Marketo as a hidden form field. Each location has a lead owner, which I want to add to their record in Marketo based on their location identifier. I think I could do this through Smart Campaigns, but it seems unwieldy and difficult to maintain. Unfortunately Marketo is not hooked to a CRM, so we need to manage this all through Marketo and the website.

Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

The desire to avoid routing via a Smart Campaign choices (which is understandable) leaves you with 2 options:

1. Choose the lead owner on the client, using your location identifier, and add the owner address right to the form.  You can store the map of locations-to-owners in a my.token and then include that token in the page (assuming this is a Marketo-hosted LP) or if not a Marketo LP, include the map in a standalone file.  Again, quite easy to execute -- the possible drawback being, if you care about such things, the fact that the locations and contacts would be visible if someone started snooping into your page. If this is public info anyway, though (like you could find it via your website) I would hope this wouldn't be problematic, but it's your call.
  2. Add the location identifier only to the form. In a trigger campaign, pass the identifier together with a the location-to-owner map (again stored in a my.token) to a webhook engine. The response maps back to the lead owner field.  The end result is the same as the forms-side approach, but it hides the map from prying eyes.

[2] is my preferred way when possible, as we have such infrastructure already built and it would take 1 minute to set up in Marketo.  But not all instances are ready for that leap, and on a small project, to ruffle the fewest feathers I'd go with [1].

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

The response maps back to the lead owner field.

Hi Sanford, I don't think you're able to map webhook responses to lead owner fields.

SanfordWhiteman

Sure you can, it's just any email field here. Remember, this isn't a CRM-integrated setup.

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Right, forgot there's no CRM in the picture.

Adam_Wingate
Level 2

Sanford, Great thanks!

Just so I can explain what I need to the website developer, the webhook would include all the information associated with the location id (sales owner first, last and email) and when the webhook is called with a smart campaign flow step these would be written in to these fields in Marketo?