Level 8 - Community Advisor

Was Sent EMail filter question

In my smart list I had

1) Was Sent Email

Email: is not "9-29 Newsletter"

2) Member of List

Person in "Leads"

Logic: 1 or 2

For some reason there were people that already got the newsletter, that received the newsletter again . even though i excluded those who were sent it.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Was Sent EMail filter question

This says Show me Leads who

Was Sent ANY email, other than the 9-29 newsletter

AND

(Are in List 1 or Member of Smart List OR Member of SFDC Campaign)

Trevor's logic is more correct because it says Show Me Leads who

NEVER received the 9-29 Newsletter AND are in List 1

So what is it you are really trying to do?

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Darrell_Alfons2

Hi Danielle,

I would use AND not OR.

And, also it is safer to use NOT WAS SENT EMAIL, but that isn't the case here.

Hope that helps!

Danielle_Wong

Hi Darrell, thanks for the help. I think by pasting the actual smart list set up below my question will be more clear. I think I got myself confused when I posted the question and put an OR instead of an AND. But anyway, the below screenshot shows the smart list setup. Any reason why some people on the 3 lists were sent the email even though they already got it the first time I Sent it?

pastedImage_0.png

Trevor_Parsell
Level 6

Hey Danielle,

It looks like there may be people in the "Leads" list who were sent the 9-29 Newsletter email and were not excluded because you used the "OR" logic.

If you are trying to get everyone on the "Leads" list who did not receive the "9-29 Newsletter" email, you should use the "Not was sent email" filter with "And" logic like this:

pastedImage_1.png

Thanks!

Danielle_Wong

Hi Travor, I should've included a screenshot. Actually below is the smart list I had, I only changed the names of the lists. I tried to simplify my original as an example of the issue. but this is probably a better approach of showing how it was set up. So I had thought setting it up the way it is in the screenshot would mean taht anyone who wasn't sent the 9-29 newsletter would be sent the email. But turns out some people got the email twice.

pastedImage_0.png

Josh_Hill13

This says Show me Leads who

Was Sent ANY email, other than the 9-29 newsletter

AND

(Are in List 1 or Member of Smart List OR Member of SFDC Campaign)

Trevor's logic is more correct because it says Show Me Leads who

NEVER received the 9-29 Newsletter AND are in List 1

So what is it you are really trying to do?

Danielle_Wong

Thanks Josh. I guess I did not understand what the "was sent email" filter actually did. But what you said makes sense.

I will know for next time.

Basically, I had sent an email to a smart list of people. But then needed to send the email to another set of lists/smart lists, but these lists would have had overlap with the original send. So I wanted to avoid sending the email to those who were on the original send.

Thanks

Trevor_Parsell
Level 6

I would try the same logic but replace the "Was sent Email" filter with the "Not was sent email" filter for the above example to make sure you are removing everyone who received the email.

Like Josh suggested, we would need to see the complete original smartlist to understand how people received the email twice. My guess would be that an OR statement on the original list likely brought in people who you did not intend.

Danielle_Wong

Thank you Trevor, this was helpful. I'll know for next time to use "Not was sent email".

Grant_Booth
Level 10

Danielle - it sounds like you meant to use the filter "Not Was Sent Email" rather than "Was Sent Email". To exclude people who were sent a particular email, you would want to use the former. The latter would mean you want people who were sent an email, so long as it wasn't that particular email. Having every been sent any other email would cause them to qualify. This is the important difference between inactivity and activity filters. Learn more here: Use Inactivity Filters in a Smart List - Marketo Docs - Product Docs