SOLVED

Re: Want to skip a nurture email using nested program

Go to solution
JLM
Level 2
Level 2

Want to skip a nurture email using nested program

I created a nurture stream with a nested program that contains 2 smart campaigns.

Based on whether or not they click a  prior email, 

1) If do not click, they get an email send

2) If DO click prior email, then they are added to the nested program as a member --> does this enable this person to get skipped and automatically receive the next cast?

-How do I know, since you can only select 1 smart campaign per nested program in a nurrture, and so I can only select the EM send program when adding in the nested program to the stream?

JLM
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Victor_Herrero
Level 5

If I understand correctly what you are trying to achieve, the only method known to me would be to have a clone of the engagement stream that follows an alternate cadence and also starts at the email you want them to receive next (plus the rest of the emails they would have gotten in the original engagement stream). 

Perhaps a little less unelegant could be to add them to an alternate stream inside the same engagement program (for your sanity) that does the same: send the next item in queue and restart the casts to maintain cadence. 

Or perhaps combine that with a set of smart campaigns that remove people from the stream, send the email they should receive keeping the cadence, then add them back in for the next cast. They should receive the next item for which they are not a member yet. 

This behavior would need to be triggered as part of the logic in the previous piece of content (the one they are not a member of at the time of the cast), since I think when you are a member, the engagement stream doesn't trigger anything at all. 

As far as I know Marketo never fixed this "miss-cast" when using nested programs. The only way is to not use nested programs and use email assets instead. Or the very unelegant and unmaintainable solution I mention above. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Courtney_Tobe2
Level 2 - Champion

Hi JLM, 

Great question. Nested programs are a great way to ensure that you're not sending your database the same content assets multiple times.

If a member of your program clicked a link in a prior email and as a result is filtered out of the smart list of a nested program’s smart campaign, they do not move on to the next piece of content during the current cast. They will move on to the next piece of content in the stream for the following cast.

If you look at the summary tab on your nested program, you'll be able to see how many people skipped the email send in your smart campaign by their program status.

Courtney_Tobe2_0-1594670455353.png

This article does a great job of explaining nested programs in an Engagement Program. Hope this helps!

JLM
Level 2
Level 2

My question is different though- I want people who are filtered out of the smart list to NOT skip a cast and immediately get moved to the next EM Cast - so if my cadence is weekly, I want everone to get something weekly.

- For thos people filtered out of the EM Smartlist: want them moved right away to the next EM Cast so they STILL get weekly casts.

- I thought the solve for this was to make the filtered out names a member of the nested program via a separate smartlist, ie.

1) I could change their program status to  "influenced"  as a member of the nested program. right?  

2) Also, do you have to schedule this separate smartlist for the filtered out names to run or will it automatically run?

JLM
Victor_Herrero
Level 5

If I understand correctly what you are trying to achieve, the only method known to me would be to have a clone of the engagement stream that follows an alternate cadence and also starts at the email you want them to receive next (plus the rest of the emails they would have gotten in the original engagement stream). 

Perhaps a little less unelegant could be to add them to an alternate stream inside the same engagement program (for your sanity) that does the same: send the next item in queue and restart the casts to maintain cadence. 

Or perhaps combine that with a set of smart campaigns that remove people from the stream, send the email they should receive keeping the cadence, then add them back in for the next cast. They should receive the next item for which they are not a member yet. 

This behavior would need to be triggered as part of the logic in the previous piece of content (the one they are not a member of at the time of the cast), since I think when you are a member, the engagement stream doesn't trigger anything at all. 

As far as I know Marketo never fixed this "miss-cast" when using nested programs. The only way is to not use nested programs and use email assets instead. Or the very unelegant and unmaintainable solution I mention above.