Re: Want to eliminate all hard bounces in each campaign - how do I do so

Anonymous
Not applicable

Want to eliminate all hard bounces in each campaign - how do I do so

I want to eliminate all hard bounces in each campaign - how do I do so.  What are the steps.
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Marketo_Univer3
Level 3

Hi Jim, great question! You can prevent undesireable lead records from entering the smartlist of your Campaigns by using the TRUE/FALSE statements in your filter; here, be sure you are including "Email Invalid is False" as a filter. 

You can refine your sending and campaign reporting by creating a "Marketable Smartlist" for use in your Campaigns. Your email marketable universe can be defined with the following filters; you would then include "Member of Smartlist is Marketable" as a starting point for a Campaign smartlist.
  • Email address IS NOT empty
  • Unsubscribed is False
  • Marketing Suspended is False
  • Email Invalid is False
  • Blacklisted is False
Best,
Marketo U

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the update.  I should have been more clear.  i've run the campaign (not including all the smartlist filters that you have identified) and now I have a whole list of bounced contacts - how do I remove in mass.  I believe you were discussion leader for training - you were very helpful.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My current system smart list has a Bounced Email Address list - should I delete all these? My email invalid is "true" = how do I change to "false" so this eliminates those contacts from campaigns that would equate to a hard bounce?
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

You can learn more here:
http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/marketo-guide-free-chapters-pre-release-219/
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you say remove, do you mean from the database or is from a drip campaign where they are in a wait step? Regardless, you will need to create a smart list using the "Email Bounced" filter. There you can reference the email you sent and a list of bounced emails will appear. To be clear, these are hard bounces. These are the ones that Marketo feels like the email is not deliverable too. You can then select all and Delete if that is what you are looking to do. Or you can select all and Remove from Flow to remove them from a drip campaign. 

If it is a drip campaign, you can always set up a trigger campaign to remove them from the flow if an email bounces. This will eliminate the manual work later on.

I wouldn't recommend changing the email invalid field. While Mkto is not perfect, that is usually a pretty good indication of whether the Lead has left the company, or changed their email, or generally will never accept an email from your domain/IP. But if you do want to: select all, Change Data Value, Email Invalid, false.