SOLVED

Re: Wait Step in Engagement Program Transition Rules

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait Step in Engagement Program Transition Rules

I am hoping someone can help answer a question for an engagement program involving wait step in stream transition rules. Two of the streams will be as follows:

Stream 1: Innovation *All leads will start in this stream

Stream 2: FollowUp-IT

Cadence of Stream 1 will be once a week, every Tuesday.

Leads will be transitioned from Stream 1 to Stream 2 if they click a link in an email in Stream 1, and their job function is IT

If we add a wait step of 2 days to the transition rules for Stream 2, will the leads remain in Stream 1 until the 2 days have passed?

My concern is if someone clicks a link in an email on Monday, they will receive the next email in Stream 1 during the next cast the very next day on Tuesday.

The goal is to stop sending emails in Stream 1 if someone clicks, wait 2 days and then send a series of follow up emails in Stream 2.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Keith_Nyberg2
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Hey Robin Magyar,

Just a workaround idea I just thought of. You could create a stream for each of your last 3 emails and write transition rules like below:

Stream #2 Transition Rule: Clicks link in desired Stream #1 email, wait 1 day, then put into Stream #2.

**Stream #2 should have an everyday cadence so the record will receive the first stream 2 email the day after being added to this stream (2 days since clicking the link in the Stream #1 email).

Stream #3 Transition Rule: Engagement Program Stream Changes->New Stream is #2, wait 6 days, then put into stream #3.

**Stream #3 should have an everyday cadence so the record receives the second stream 2 email the day after being added to this stream (7 days since being sent the first stream 2 email).

Stream #4 Transition Rule: Engagement Program Stream Changes->New Stream is #3, wait 6 days, then put into stream #4.

**Stream #4 should have an everyday cadence so the record receives the third stream 2 email the day after being added to this stream (7 days since being sent the second stream 2 email).

It's a little confusing but would actually enable you to send email using your desired cadence without losing insight into email performance in the Engagement dashboard. (Like you would if you used a smart campaign which would definitely help accomplish this in a simpler manner.)

Interested in your thoughts! Did what I wrote make sense? Let me know if you have questions.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes that can happen if you leave the CHange Stream at the top of the flow. I believe you cannot change this in the Transition Rule.

Instead, create a Campaign that does the same thing;

Clicks Link in Emails IS XYZ

At least 1x

Change Cadence to Paused

Wait 1 day

Change Cadence to Normal

Change Engagement Stream to Stream 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the quick reply, Josh!

One more follow up to this..

What would I need to set the stream cadence to for Stream 2 if I want the leads to receive those emails 1 week apart? Since leads would be entering the stream on different days..  Or does it make more sense to set up the follow up streams in a smart campaign with the emails and wait steps?

Say Lead clicks email in stream 1 on Monday, campaign is triggered to pause, wait 1 day, change to normal and change to stream 2 - then email 1 in stream 2 is delivered on Wednesday, I want that lead to receive email 2 in stream 2 the following Wednesday.

Keith_Nyberg2

Hi Robin Magyar,

I would say the smart campaign would work more efficiently unless you have multiple emails in stream #2. If it is just once email though, smart campaign all the way. Regarding the wanting the email to send the following Wednesday, just make your wait criteria 6 days rather than 1.

Sincerely,

Keith Nyberg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Keith Nyberg - thank you so much for your suggestion.. we actually will have multiple emails in stream 2 (3 total)

The Wednesday comment was just an example scenario - if someone clicks a link in an email in Stream 1 on Monday, we want them to be transitioned into Stream 2, wait 2 days, then receive the first email in Stream 2 on Wednesday. Then there should be a week in between each of the remaining two follow up emails

I am imagining the ideal path to be as follows

Day 1: Lead receives email 1 in Stream 1

Day 3: Lead clicks email 1 from Stream 1

wait 2 days, lead is transitioned into stream 2

Day 5: Lead receives email 1 in Stream 2

wait 7 days

Day 12: Lead receives email 2 in Stream 2

wait 7 days

Day 19: Lead receives email 3 in Stream 2

I am having trouble figuring out how to make this cadence work, considering that leads will enter stream 2 on different days, depending on when they engage with email content from Stream 1

Keith_Nyberg2

Hey Robin Magyar,

Just a workaround idea I just thought of. You could create a stream for each of your last 3 emails and write transition rules like below:

Stream #2 Transition Rule: Clicks link in desired Stream #1 email, wait 1 day, then put into Stream #2.

**Stream #2 should have an everyday cadence so the record will receive the first stream 2 email the day after being added to this stream (2 days since clicking the link in the Stream #1 email).

Stream #3 Transition Rule: Engagement Program Stream Changes->New Stream is #2, wait 6 days, then put into stream #3.

**Stream #3 should have an everyday cadence so the record receives the second stream 2 email the day after being added to this stream (7 days since being sent the first stream 2 email).

Stream #4 Transition Rule: Engagement Program Stream Changes->New Stream is #3, wait 6 days, then put into stream #4.

**Stream #4 should have an everyday cadence so the record receives the third stream 2 email the day after being added to this stream (7 days since being sent the second stream 2 email).

It's a little confusing but would actually enable you to send email using your desired cadence without losing insight into email performance in the Engagement dashboard. (Like you would if you used a smart campaign which would definitely help accomplish this in a simpler manner.)

Interested in your thoughts! Did what I wrote make sense? Let me know if you have questions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Keith Nyberg​ THANK YOU! Yes, what you wrote makes sense - I may have read it more than once.. but this was extremely helpful! I am going to rebuild the program the way you recommended, and run a test lead through it this week with shortened wait steps to make sure all works.

Thank you again for sticking with me here!