Wait Step Date Token in Smart Campaign

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait Step Date Token in Smart Campaign

Hi, I have a question about the date token functionality in a wait step. We want to send leads a series of auto emails after a lead was created. I set up a smart campaign using the date token wait step based on the lead created date. Somehow the wait step did not work properly and I'm not sure why.

Here is the flow that I am using in my test smart campaign:

Smart Campaign.PNG

For the test campaign, my test lead was created 1 day ago at 11:30 am. When I ran this campaign earlier today, I was expecting to receive the first email at 1:00 and the second email at 3:00. However, both emails were triggered automatically once I activated the campaign around 12:30.

Not sure what the problem is. Has anyone else had trouble with a wait step that using a date token? Thanks!

Carly

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wait Step Date Token in Smart Campaign

What you want to do is for the second wait just wait 2 hours, don't to time everything out from the date created.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jamie Lewis

Yes so we have used the duration wait step before and it always works. I'm still confused why that created date token did not work for the email send.

Also the reason why I am am thinking of using the lead created date is that we may be running this campaign as a batch campaign, so if the campaign only runs once a day (and most likely at night), we want to make sure the leads receive that first email at the right time.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Please review

Use a Date Token in a Wait Flow Action - Marketo Docs - Product Docs

You can only use this in Trigger campaigns and you may be using it wrong. I suggest using a regular Date, rather than Date Time.

But anyway, you can just say that if the Lead is Created and enters the flow immediately, why do you need Created Date anyway? Just use 1 day, end on 1pm, then Wait 2 hours. This is what Jamie suggests.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I always remember that Date Token in wait steps is for Trigger smart campaigns when studying for certification...but then I realized yesterday that we have been using a Date Token in advanced wait steps for batch campaigns for months! It's a standard part of our webinar invitations and last chance emails. I double checked the reporting and the email based on the Date Token goes out fine. So now I'm just confused as to how this is OK for our instance but not working for others...and more importantly, technically not supported?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Emily what Date are you using for a Date Token? Is that date set up as date or datetime? I'm having a similar issue and I'm curious how someone that has it working has the token email script set up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Emma Coria, it's a Date token.

pastedImage_0.png

I haven't used an email script but am also curious to see how that would look.