Re: Visited Web Page Activity Not Logged when Email Clicked

Anonymous
Not applicable

Visited Web Page Activity Not Logged when Email Clicked

An email was sent out on Friday and a lot of people responded by clicking a link in the email that took them to this Marketo landing page:

http://pages.usablenet.com/WC2016-05MobilePlaybook_RegistrationLP.html

The clicked link was logged successfully in each activity log. However, the Visited Webpage activity is not logged for the individual lead. This seems to be happening for leads that were not cookied and known prior to the email blast. Is there some timing thing that is happening here? Shouldn't leads that click the email become known and have the web activity for visited page logged? Any idea if this has to do with the undated Munchkin functionality?

Any insights appreciated.

Thanks,

Sheila

26 REPLIES 26
Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

Is the web page a Marketo LP or external?

If external, do you have Munchkin enabled?  Did you put in your Munchkin tracking code?

Send the LP link if you want a deeper dive explanation.

Robb Barrett
Anonymous
Not applicable

The LP is listed above. Landing page is a Marketo LP.

Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

Have you tried creating a Smart List with the "Visited Web Page" filter to see if anyone shows up there? Might be a long shot, but I'd check that just in case.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Jennifer, Yes I did use the smart list Visited Web Page filter. They aren't showing up. No surprise since they also don't have the activity in the log... Thanks.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Yes, as long as you have not disabled ​mkt_tok​ (this is non-default option for every link in an email) then a ​Clicked Email ​event will lead to a ​Visited Web Page ​event if the asset loads Munchkin. Make sure someone did not uncheck Include ​mkt_tok.

Munchkin 2.0 relates to anonymous leads, so those changes are not involved here.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Sanford. You have confirmed my understanding.

I have verified that the email as Include mkt_tok checked.

The Clicked email event did come through.

The Visited Web Page event did not come through for those leads that weren't known before they clicked the link in the email.

Perhaps something is not right on the Marketo landing page? Link to that is in my original post.

SanfordWhiteman

Please send me (sandy@figureone.com) a copy of the email (not a sample but a real send).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sanford Whiteman Sending the email shortly. Subject is "Are you happy with your mobile site's performance?". Thanks so much for helping to debug. Sheila

SanfordWhiteman

OK.  Found the email (it was in my spam quarantine ).

Following the tracked link, I do see the mkt_tok correctly appended to the URL by the tracking server. I also see the Munchkin hit successfully sent:

pastedImage_5.png

This step should suffice to associate the Munchkin cookie with the known Marketo lead (which is encoded in the mkt_tok).  I also navigated to your homepage and saw the same cookie value and another Visit Web Page hit as expected.  Can you send me a screenshot of my web activity log?

On what is perhaps a separate but important note, your "Request a Demo" and "Contact Us" links are both broken because you haven't correctly included Marketo Forms 2.0 on your corporate site.

I also see a common problem that is not directly related to tracking but which you really must fix to avoid placing unnecessary load on your server (and a seemingly long overall load time for your pages, even though it is not directly felt by users). The favicon.ico on your Marketo LP is redirecting to your homepage because you didn't specify a path to a existing file.  As a result your LP actually loads your corporate site's HTML 2x in the background.