Re: 'Verify your email address' program & logic

Anonymous
Not applicable

'Verify your email address' program & logic

Hi all!

We are curious to see how other companies using Marketo have set up the logic for email verification programs. I would like to make the distinction that we're more interested in building out a program where for instance, a lead signs up for an account/trial with us versus looking into 3rd party platform who verifies if an email address is real or not.

The bare bones of the program is set up in our instance but we are interested in seeing how other companies set up their flow, smart list, etc to trigger their emails to get the lead to verify their email address once the email hits their inbox and conversely if they still do not verify their email once the re-verification email hits their inbox. We are pure B2C and have a business model similar to Netflix (streaming subscription service).

Thanks in advance!

Kristina

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kristina

In fact, third party tool will verify the leads (on creation or updation) and flag them as valid or invalid. These flags can be used to identify the right email in programs/campaigns. Which third party tool, are you going to use?

Regards

Kapil

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

But Kapil, an email validation tool cannot ​tell if the person who filled out the form is a legitimate operator of the mailbox These are -- and I say this even as someone who runs an email validation platform! -- strikingly different concerns when you consider malicious and/or accidental form fillouts. My ability to enter a legit address on a form doesn't make that particular form submission legit: your response to a follow-up email does.

This is trickier yet because you need to decide whether to re-confirm an address that was already in your system from a legit source, but could've been added later in a illegit way. 

And the flipside: you must not remove a lead entirely in response to a single spurious form fillout. When we roll out ReCAPTCHA, for example, we make sure that a failed captcha deletes the corresponding lead only ​if the lead was created by that submission. Otherwise you're letting people  delete any lead by purposely/accidentally failing the captcha.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kristina - We use a service called Briteverify to verify the majority of the emails that come into our database. It verifies most types of emails (not gmail) and is seamless for our customers.

We've had exceptional deliverability since implementing.

Best of luck,

Jessica

SanfordWhiteman

But yet again, this is not the question that Kristina asked. She's not "looking into 3rd party platform who verifies if an email address is real or not."

Verifying that someone can (and will) respond to an email at a given mailbox is notably different from checking if that mailbox can receive mail.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah, haha. I mean an email validation tool later down the line is helpful but that's not what we're looking for at the moment.

Sanford, how does your company have this set up? I found out that we would have to have another JS snippet on our site which is for dual/hidden forms. The purpose of this is to have some sort of connecting trigger from site --> Marketo which then triggers the email.

It would be different if that sign up or form was a Marketo sign up or form because we can then trigger the sequence since these assets are currently living in Marketo. But I would also like this set up for when the visitor just goes straight to the site. Hope this makes sense. Do let me know how you guys went about this in your company.

SanfordWhiteman

Sanford, how does your company have this set up? I found out that we would have to have another JS snippet on our site which is for dual/hidden forms. The purpose of this is to have some sort of connecting trigger from site --> Marketo which then triggers the email.

Are you referring here to posting a hidden Marketo form in the background after the lead submits the visible/custom form?  Because this still results in a Filled Out Form activity in Marketo, exactly as if that same Mkto form were viewed+submitted interactively.