Re: Velocity Scripts + Send Performance

Luke_Wotton
Level 4

Velocity Scripts + Send Performance

Hello,

I've written some Velocity scripts to make it so regional specific content gets delivered to the correct leads. This is working great within my tests.

Now, I've asked Marketo about the potential performance issue of running this script on a 100,000+ email send and they've replied saying "We don't know."

So. who uses Velocity and what're your opinions of how it affects email sending?

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

It will slow down your send as it processes in real time.  It is usually not too much of a delay, the more extensive your scripts are the more processing time the email will require.

Luke_Wotton
Level 4

So if we were to say each script was to take 2ms x 100,000 / 1000 = 200 seconds in total?

(My guess of a 2ms script execution time is a complete and utter guess).

Ashley_Deas2
Level 1

Do you have any updates?  Were you able to try it out, and if so, what was the effect on processing times? I wrote a rather lengthy script that's sending to roughly the same size audience you mentioned.

Luke_Wotton
Level 4

No updates, I went to support about it, wondering how long Velocity would take, but there advice was 'speak to the community' as they aren't developers.

Dependent on the amount of code you've written I would be suprised if Velocity took up a substantial amount of time. If your email is incredibly time sensitive (like a nuclear accident is about to occur) I'd be concerned, but I doubt it'd cause any huge delay in processing.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

I'am not sure I would use Marketo to notify people about a Nuclear accident about to occur

-Greg

Luke_Wotton
Level 4

Using headstart it'd be fine