SOLVED

Re: Validate Form Details Before/Upon Submission?

Go to solution
Jordan_Zabawa
Level 2

Validate Form Details Before/Upon Submission?

Hi Marketing Nation Community!

I am still relatively new to Marketo and I was asked by my one of my sales teams to create a unique landing page.. Here is the scenario:

We have a B product that multiple customers of ours frequently request additional licenses for and the current process for placing an order for additional licence is very painful and resource heavy.

The ideal/proposed process flow is:

1. Customer requests additional license(s)
  2. Customer rep creates an opportunity in Salesforce, draws up a proposal, and sends to customer for review
  3. When the customer is ready to approve, the customer rep would send the customer a proposal (via email) with a URL to a landing page where they can download materials about the product and fill out a form to accept the proposal and terms and conditions agreement.
  4. A confirmation email will send to our legal team and customer rep as well as the customer, with a "receipt" of the transaction (proposal details and terms and conditions)

Now here is the major problem we are seeing: How do we validate a person's identity?

We intent to use the Salesforce opportunity ID as a form field for the customer to put their "order ID" in, in addition to normal form details (name, company, email, etc). But what if someone "fat fingers" their order ID and puts the wrong numbers in? Is there a way for Marketo to reject the form submission and tell the person to try again?

I'm obviously worried about "Jeff King" accidentally getting "Michelle Queen"s personal information and proposal details.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

There's no way for a Marketo form to validate that an SFDC Opportunity ID belongs to the current lead. It has no access to this back end data.

A Velocity token, ​on the other hand, could determine whether the user-supplied Oppty ID (stored as a String field on the lead) actually corresponds to a valid Opportunity on that same lead.

You could then change the output of the confirmation email to say, "Sorry, the Order ID you entered was not valid. Please return to the form and try again."

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
SanfordWhiteman

There's no way for a Marketo form to validate that an SFDC Opportunity ID belongs to the current lead. It has no access to this back end data.

A Velocity token, ​on the other hand, could determine whether the user-supplied Oppty ID (stored as a String field on the lead) actually corresponds to a valid Opportunity on that same lead.

You could then change the output of the confirmation email to say, "Sorry, the Order ID you entered was not valid. Please return to the form and try again."

Jordan_Zabawa
Level 2

Thanks for the help Sanford! I've been doing some reading in Marketo Docs and Marketo Developer documentation regarding velocity tokens.  Any suggestions on where to start looking for a developer to help me with developing a velocity token and script?

SanfordWhiteman

You don't need to hire someone for this specific small thing.

What you will need to do is copy the Opportunity ID to another string field on the Oppty (see Re: ${TriggerObject.OpportunityId} anyone know what value actually works?​ because Marketo doesn't surface the ID proper (not a big deal, we live with it).

Let's say that new field is called ID Copy and your order ID field supplied by the user is User Supplied Order ID, and their respective names when you drag them onto the Velocity canvas are IDCopy and UserSuppliedOrderID.

Then your token is:

#set( $opportunityIDField = "IDCopy" )

#set( $delim = "," )

#set( $opportunityIDs = $display.list($OpportunityList,$delim,$delim,$opportunityIDField).split($delim) )

#if(  $opportunityIDs.contains( $lead.UserSuppliedOrderID ) )

Your Order ID was found.

#else

Your Order ID was not found.

#end

If you're trying to learn Marketo-flavored Velocity (note Velocity as a language is used profusely outside of Marketo) start at https://blog.teknkl.com/tag/velocity.

Jordan_Zabawa
Level 2

Awesome, thanks for all the help!

I'll probably dig into that blog so expand my knowledge of Velocity.