SOLVED

Using tokens in Email template's HTML code?

Go to solution
Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

Using tokens in Email template's HTML code?

We have a custom email templates in Design Studio and I am wondering if it is possible to add tokens in the code?  For example, in most of our email templates we have a "Email a Sales Rep" mailto link in the footer.  We would like to create a token of some sort so then we only have to change that token instead of going in and editing each email template.  How and what is the best way to accomplish such a thing?

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jamie_Rodger
Level 3

Re: Using tokens in Email template's HTML code?

The templates that you download from templates.marketo.com often have them in place already. It will work with a system token (glossary here: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000LBvaCAG). If you are using a program token (my.token) then you need to make sure every program you use the email template in has the my.token already created in it. 

At the summit, one of the Champions showed you can ensure this through creating the token on a folder that houses your email programs. Creates a token hierarchy or something. Not sure of the terminology but I was just testing it and it seemed to work. They may post the video or pp deck.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Jamie_Rodger
Level 3

The templates that you download from templates.marketo.com often have them in place already. It will work with a system token (glossary here: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000LBvaCAG). If you are using a program token (my.token) then you need to make sure every program you use the email template in has the my.token already created in it. 

At the summit, one of the Champions showed you can ensure this through creating the token on a folder that houses your email programs. Creates a token hierarchy or something. Not sure of the terminology but I was just testing it and it seemed to work. They may post the video or pp deck.

Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

Hi Jamie,

The link you provided is a dead link.  I searched for system token on the community and they only list off:
  • {{system.date}}
  • {{system.time}}
  • {{system.dateTime}}
  • {{system.forwardToFriendLink}}
  • {{system.unsubscribeLink}}
  • {{system.viewAsWebpageLink}}
None of these will work for the link I need to set.  Is there anyway to create my own system token or is my only option program tokens?
Jamie_Rodger
Level 3

https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000LBvaCAG
Sorry I had a bracket on the end of the other link.

I would just create a folder called Universal and stick all your other folders and programs under that. Create the my.token on that folder and it should roll down to all your new programs.
Nate_Oosterhous
Level 7

Thank you Jamie for your help.  
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, try out using Rich Text tokens. You can edit the body copy of various sales emails via the Tokens tab.