Using segments in triggered smart campaign

Stephen_Jeong1
Level 3

Using segments in triggered smart campaign

Hi,

Has anyone else encountered issues using segments in triggered smart campaigns? I've noticed that people are incorrectly being disqualified from some of my triggered campaigns because they don't get added to the proper segment until a few minutes after lead creation. I'm wondering if I should stop using segments as filters in my triggered campaigns because of this.

5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Using segments in triggered smart campaign

Hi Stephen,

I'm wondering if I should stop using segments as filters in my triggered campaigns because of this

Yes, you should.

There is really no guarantee that segment computation will be fast enough to be used as a combined filter in a triggered Smart Campaign Smart List, nor even as a choice criteria in such a smart campaign when the segment criteria are involved in the smart campaign smart list.

Posting data to the underlying database is already slower than firing triggers and can lead to issues when you requery the database too quickly, but furthermore, segment computation is completely asynchronous and has a low priority.

-Greg

Stephen_Jeong1
Level 3

Thanks for your response! Would you recommend using a smart list instead?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

The would be better. But add a 2 minutes wait step at the beginning of the flow tome sure that the changes values have time to be posted to the database, so that the smart lists bring a correct result.

-Greg

Roman_Naibok1
Level 1

Did you find this helpful? I'm considering this

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Further to Greg's point, the only segment-related criteria that is safe to use w/r/t triggers is the Segment Changes trigger itself.

Also note this exception: https://nation.marketo.com/docs/DOC-4924-change-segment-activity-missing-from-activity-log