Using forms across multiple workspaces

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Using forms across multiple workspaces

Supposedly, forms are one type of asset that is not something you can share across mutliple workspaces.  However, when I cloned a program to another workspace, the landing page is still referencing the form from a different workspace.  Everything works fine and the smart list even list the form properly withing the "fills out form" trigger. 

Since this isn't supposed to be supported, do I need to be aware of any issues down the road?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Using forms across multiple workspaces

Dan

I'd be cautious of cloning "allowing" you to use certain assets. You cannot share assets across workspaces, so you'd need to clone whatever assets you need into a folder, and then drag and drop that folder into the particular workspace. Just be sure that whatever you are referencing, lives in the workspace you are referencing it from.

I hope this helps!

Best,

Liz

Dan_Stevens_

Liz, you can share landing page and email templates across workspaces (here are the assets you can share) - however, when you update the template, you're unable to centrally re-approve any asset that uses that template if it resides in another workspace outside of the one it originates in.  Hopefully, Marketo fixes this in the future.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dan,
    A bit more clarification about how Marketo works with assets that refer to assets in other workspaces.   Let's take the landing page template as an example.   Say I move a program from workspace A to workspace B.  
  1. The landing pages in workspace B will now point to landing page templates in workspace A.   You will see that reference in the landing page summary.
  2. The landing page template in workspace A will NOT show the landing page usage of the template in workspace B.  
  3. If you edit and approve the template in workspace A, the landing pages in workspace B that use it will NOT be thrown into draft mode.
  4. If you subsequently edit the landing pages in workspace B that use the changed  template in workspace A, when you approve the landing page changes, the updates to the landing page templates will be updated in the landing pages.
  5. If you change a landing page template in a workspace, you will have to review the Landing Page lists (Design Studio -> Landing Page (top level) to find any landing pages in other workspaces that use that template (see the template column).   Then you can edit those landing pages and approve them to ensure that the latest template content is propagated to the landing page.
So, even though the landing pages seem to be detached from the templates (because you don't see a reference to them at the template side and because the automatic drafting behavior is quite different from what we would normally see), the page and templates are connected.  You just have to work harder to propagate changes.
Dan_Stevens_

Pam - Thanks for chiming in here.  But what you've described is not entirely correct.  Using your example above, I'll refer to our Global/Default workspace (where our shared assets exist) as "Workspace A".
  1. Correct
  2. Not true.  I can clearly see every landing page across all workspaces that are using this template (under the "used by" tab)
  3. Not true.  This is an issue we are currently dealing with.  Assets based on those templates are pushed into draft mode, but yet there's no way to mass-approve them like you can in a single workspace.  I have included my comments in an existing Idea that was submitted last year.
  4. Correct.
  5. Correct (it sounds like this contradicts what you mentioned in point #2)
In summary, Marketo needs to better support workspace management.  Our Marketo consultant clearly agrees and has asked me to speak at next year's Summit on the pitfalls and opportunities of using Marketo workspaces to support a global organization like ours.  I can say that I am finding ways to deploy specific assets more efficiently - for example, creating a SINGLE email alert in the global workspace and using local tokens at the workspace/program level to provide program-specific email alerts.  Same thing for our confirmation emails after someone converts on a form/landing page.  It's definitely been a learning process for us.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dan,
    Actually, I think we both are suffering from the same presumption - that what we are seeing in our own instances is exactly the same behavior in other instances.   I can confirm that the behavior that I have described above is occurring in our Marketo instance.   And I bet you can confirm that the behavior you are seeing is occurring in your Marketo instance.

As the behavior we are seeing is a bit more deviant than yours, I'll open a support ticket and let the engineering team work it out.

I never considered that two instances would behave so differently.   Now, I know better!    Though I thought that the behavior we were seeing was unorthodox, I never considered that it might be a bug. 

Thanks for responding.  We'll see what Marketo comes back with.