SOLVED

Re: Using email program success/status

Go to solution
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Using email program success/status

I was curious if anyone has a good example of defining success/status within an email program. I understand the need to define success within most programs, but I don't completely see the value in doing it for one-off email programs.

For example, say I send an email program promoting a webinar, I could set a success campaign to fire if the link in the email is clicked AND the webinar registration form is completed, but how can I be sure the email is the vehicle that led them to the registration form? What if that lead clicked the link, didn't register, and later visited my website and registered then. Would I need to clone the webinar program in order to provide accurate reporting so that the same program isn't shared by the email and the website?

I want to avoid adding another channel that requires its own set of programs/forms/landing pages/etc if the rewards for doing so aren't great.
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mark_Farnell
Level 5

We define email success as either clicked link or converted (clicked specific link using a constraint) for email campaigns.  We use trigger campaigns to listen for delivered, opened, clicked or unsubscribed and then update the program status accordingly using Choices - remember only the first matching choice applies so you need the choices in reverse order.  Set flow to run every time.

In webinars we count success via registered/attended.  The email invites sit in the webinar program - so NOT a separate program, so we don't have the email program statuses.  We have the webinar statuses.  After form fill out ot register we change the status to Registered, then after the webinar the GoToWebinar integration we use updates to attended/no show.  We then send follow up as a batch after this to make sure we have set up the replay before the email goes.  These emails do not change status either.

For us the email is part of an overall program to drive registration - we don't report at the level of which program (e.g. web or email) drove the registration.  We get a good read on this from email link performance reports if we need to.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Mark_Farnell
Level 5

We define email success as either clicked link or converted (clicked specific link using a constraint) for email campaigns.  We use trigger campaigns to listen for delivered, opened, clicked or unsubscribed and then update the program status accordingly using Choices - remember only the first matching choice applies so you need the choices in reverse order.  Set flow to run every time.

In webinars we count success via registered/attended.  The email invites sit in the webinar program - so NOT a separate program, so we don't have the email program statuses.  We have the webinar statuses.  After form fill out ot register we change the status to Registered, then after the webinar the GoToWebinar integration we use updates to attended/no show.  We then send follow up as a batch after this to make sure we have set up the replay before the email goes.  These emails do not change status either.

For us the email is part of an overall program to drive registration - we don't report at the level of which program (e.g. web or email) drove the registration.  We get a good read on this from email link performance reports if we need to.