SOLVED

Using a trigger with an "in past" date of activity

Go to solution
Amanda_Giacobas
Level 2

Using a trigger with an "in past" date of activity

Question for the group:

Normally triggers only fire when the triggering action is done. E.g., contacts are only enrolled in a smart campaign with the Fills out Form trigger if they meet smart list criteria at the time they fill out the form.

What happens when you use a date of activity constraint on a trigger?

I'm looking to create a trigger that says form name is "contact us" with date of activity in past 2 weeks. Will the smart campaign query every contact who has filled out a contact us form on a rolling 2 week basis?

Marketo___Form_-_Demo_contact_greater_than_10_days__Smart_List__•_Marketing_Activities.jpg

Because of other filters I have on this smart list, contacts will be filtered out of the smart campaign for the first 10 days after their form fill. The only days a contact could go through this smart campaign is on days 11, 12, 13, 14 after their form fill. But only IF a trigger searches every contact every day for a form fill in the last 2 weeks.

Ultimately what I'm trying to do is apply a person score of +100 to contacts who submit a contact us form for the first 10 days (that's an easy cohort to isolate), and then apply a -70 point score starting on day 11. The effect is a score surge for the first 10 days after a contact submits this form.

Interested in hearing if you all think this approach will work, or if you have recommendations on how to achieve this "in the past 10 days" score surge effect where the score is bumped up for the first 10 days following an action, and then the score drops back down by a fixed amount.

I'm implementing Marketo right now, so I don't have a pool of contacts to test this with!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Using a trigger with an "in past" date of activity

Triggers only fire (not just "normally") in response to the triggering activity. The In Past constraint only makes sense in conjunction with the Number of Times constraint, which can do a lookback (until activities age out, of course).

You want a batch SC for your purpose, not a trigger SC.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Triggers only fire (not just "normally") in response to the triggering activity. The In Past constraint only makes sense in conjunction with the Number of Times constraint, which can do a lookback (until activities age out, of course).

You want a batch SC for your purpose, not a trigger SC.

Amanda_Giacobas
Level 2

Thanks Sanford. Does this look correct to you? The "not in list" filter is to exclude the contacts who did submit a contact form in the past 10 days.

Marketo___Form_-_Demo_contact_greater_than_10_days__Smart_List__•_Marketing_Activities.jpg

I think I might need to drop my date of activity down to 11 days so that I can run contacts through every time they qualify without having their person score modified more than once for the same form fill (i.e., I don't want a contact to run through this SC on days 11 and 12 and 13 and 14 and have their score reduced from the initial surge each time).

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I'd probably say

Filled Out Form IN PAST 14 Days (not sure why you say at least 1x? that's assumed if you leave it out)

Run Lead Every 14 or 15 days (instead of Not Filled Out Form IN PAST 3 days --- this gets complex)