Using a sub domain in the email address

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using a sub domain in the email address

Hello- we are wondering why companies use @email.BrandName.com vs @BrandName.com. do you have any recommendations on what we should use and how we should set it up?

Please let us know your thoughts

-Katie

4 REPLIES 4
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Using a sub domain in the email address

Up to you.

Keep in mind that your domain reputation IS NOT separated from your corp email in this case even if you use a different IP for the sub domain. At least, that's what I've been told. So I would discuss this process with your IT team before you finalize anything.

I would make the subdomain something clear like "email" or "news" or "marketing" or "go"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, Josh. I appreciate the input.

Do you recommend one way or the other? Any benefits that you can think of?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Some marketers like to send from a "sales-alike" mailbox (attended, of course) rather than having responses go directly back to sales. By using a subdomain, you alleviate the need to come up with a new left-hand-side of the address.  That is, if the salesperson's real address is katie.katzenberger@example.com, you can simply send from katie.katzenberger@marketing.example.com instead of having to find a similar address that isn't being used.

Sending from a subdomain also allows you to machine-process responses on another server/service instead of having them go back to your corporate server.

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yes, I've done this model in the past.

The challenge is that if your reputation is poor, your corp email domain is still affected because spam filters look at IP and domain name, some more than others. So if you want your corp email to be highly reputable, I would recommend using a similar alias model as Sanford suggests, but instead more like

Corp=.com

Marketing=.net > which could be an alias to .com or a separate box that is machine processed using Siftrock or something.