Using Tokens in master email template housed in Designed Studio

Bianca_OBrien
Level 2

Using Tokens in master email template housed in Designed Studio

We currently have 1 master email template branded for our company in Design Studio. We have then used that template to build out other email templates in Marketing Activities based on program type; i.e. webinar, email, content download, etc. The catch is we market by product/brand - all of which have different logos and accent colors. We are planning to clone our program templates and adjust accordingly for each brand using tokens. I am thinking about using the tokens in the master email template in Design Studio with the appropriate company colors/logos as the default. That way if someone starts from scratch in their product/brand folder, the email will populate with the appropriate colors/logos/etc, but still have the same overall look of the master template.

Any issues/concerns with this approach? Is it safe to reference tokens in Design Studio templates?

Thanks!!!

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Willow_Allen
Level 2

Re: Using Tokens in master email template housed in Designed Studio

Hey Bianca,

The issue with updating a template in design studio is that an update to code will unpublish all emails associated with it. Depending on how much your email is being used, it can be a super pain. I tokenized your master email template in design studio when I built the instance so making edits to the template won't be needed.

Instead, clone any master program that already exists in your marketing instance and put it in a folder called abila (you can see how I did this with the content download programs).

Set the token for logo on the abila folder with your abila logo image url and you'll cascade the change to all programs nested under this folder. If you choose to override the change on a program in the folder, it can be undone by deleting the token in the program (doesn't delete it. it simply reverts back).

Go back to your emails in the master program you just cloned and put in the email folder and change the color scheme with the drag and drop email builder. This will give you abila branded emails with an easy to swap logo with brand compliant colors. For future program builds, have the abila team use this main program as a template for email builds for this brand.

Something to consider - While you can send emails from any brand in the to/from sections, you won't be able to swap the URL domain for each brand. Meaning, webinars for abila will still have the go.communitybrands.com url. If this is a problem, you can investigate instance partitioning.

Willow Allen
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Both tokens or snippets are viable options to achieve scalability and flexibility.

Personally I'm using snippets + modules though

Amit_Jain
Level 8 - Community Advisor

That's totally fine. We also use the same approach. Have a folder for specific business unit / product line and created tokens for color/font-family/provacy policy/footer/preference center link/logo etc. It should work just fine.