Re: Using Random Sample for Lead Assignment in a Trigger Campaign

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Random Sample for Lead Assignment in a Trigger Campaign

Does the Random Sample option only work with batch campaigns or can it reliably used with trigger campaigns? I guess my question all depends on exactly how the random sample is calculated. Is it within the records running through the campaign at that moment or across all leads?

If we had a trigger for when a Lead is Created to use the Random Sample value and assign that lead to one of our Sales Reps, will it be able to perform a round robin assignment across multiple reps? Since a trigger campaign is only triggering on a single record, will the sample size for the random sample always be 1? Thus, even if we had rules that broke out assignment to 4 different reps where Random Sample is 25, it'll always pick the first person everytime?

Would a better solution to be to schedule a batch of records to get assigned (perhaps daily) so the smart campaign is running a larger batch of records?

I hope this question makes sense.

Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

It can be used in either campaign...but it may have the issue you point out.

In your case, however, you should just use Round Robin = 1, 2, 3.....
Veronica_Holme4

Scott - confirmed - the issue here is exactly as you describe. While you can use random sample in a trigger, it does not make sense. There's only one record hitting the random sample each time, so as you have already figured out it will simply get assigned to the same sales rep.

Your scheduled campaign idea makes more sense.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting that's the case. After posting this discussion, I found this Marketo resource article that contradicts this and makes it look like the Trigger Campaign will work. Think the article is wrong?

Josh, when you say I should just use Round Robin = 1, 2, 3, what exactly do you mean? Is this a built in Marketo technique I am not aware of? 

My workaround will be to use the Salesforce technique where Salesforce has an Auto Number field increment and then a formula field to divide by the number of reps and return the remainder. Assign a remainder possibility to each rep. Not ideal, but possible.
Josh_Hill13

There was (and may still be) a way to do

Choice Step 1: Round Robin 1, then Change Owner.

I don't see it in my instance and it might have been specific to SFDC setup in the past. The other ways may work better.

If you are routing and really need this, do it in SFDC or Lean Data.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Scott, I use random sample on incoming form fill leads to distro to our reseller teams. This trigger campaign has properly alternated over time to be equal and has never chosen just the first option.

I random sample into separate lists where from there I use another trigger campaign to assign to the rep from which list the lead is in.