SOLVED

Re: Using Filter & Trigger in Smart List

Go to solution
Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Using Filter & Trigger in Smart List

Just wanted to confirm,

Is it okay to use a Filter & Trigger in a Smart List?

I'm setting up a new set of Lead Scoring currently, and for the current smart campaign I want:

Trigger - Fills Out Form - Form is Any

Filter - Member of SFDC Campaign is _______

Essentially, I want to be able to filter for anyone who fills out a form BUT is also a part of a specific SFDC campaign, since they will be receiving a different type of lead score, separate from the default Marketo scoring.

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm pretty sure this is okay, I just want to make sure Marketo takes both those requirements into consideration and not just one or the other.

EDIT 2: Also, kind of unrelated but .... can you score someone based on whether or not they click on a PDF link? I'm not sure since I know PDF don't hold Munchkin ID.

Thanks again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Malik,

Yes, this is OK.

In this case, the trigger will only fire if the filters are validated for the lead.

So it will exactly do what you want to do with your fills out form trigger together with a member of campaign filter.

By the way, if you have more than 1 filter, the smart list rule logic will only apply to the filters. For the triggers, whatever rule logic you set, the OR will be applied.

-Greg

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Malik,

Yes, this is OK.

In this case, the trigger will only fire if the filters are validated for the lead.

So it will exactly do what you want to do with your fills out form trigger together with a member of campaign filter.

By the way, if you have more than 1 filter, the smart list rule logic will only apply to the filters. For the triggers, whatever rule logic you set, the OR will be applied.

-Greg

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Aha! Thanks for clarifying the difference between Triggers and Filters when it comes to Smart List and Rule Logic, I knew there was something I was forgetting.

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Malik,

As Greg said, Yes, this will work for you.  I wanted to also clarify a couple points.

The trigger in your smart list will always fire first, and the leads will then be qualified based on the filters you have set.  Also, like he said, the triggers are always independent of one another.  If you have three triggers then a lead could fire any one of them, but they would still have to qualify for the filters and logic you have set up.

John

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Thanks John, can you clarify that last part?

@ said "For the triggers, whatever rule logic you set, the OR will be applied."

And from I take from your last point, are you saying that you can still use the "AND" logic when using multiple triggers, or did I read that wrong?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi again Malik,

John's point is that the triggers are independent, meaning you cannot have and AND between triggers, as if 2 triggers had to fire together.

-Greg

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

Hello,

What is the logic behind using a filter and trigger in a smart campaign?

I set up a smart campaign:

Trigger:Owner Changes is not _____
Filter: Filled out form is ______

However, it looks like multiple campaigns were triggered when I assigned a lead a new lead owner, so I'm guessing that this does not work. Can you confirm?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Malik,

This will trigger for any lead which owner just changed except if the new owner is the value you set in the trigger. But the flow will run only iof this lead has filled out the forms listed in the filter.

Now, I do ont know what you are trying to do, so I cannot tell if this is the right way to do it

-Greg

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

So here's the issue.

We have 5 different contact forms on our website - one main, and 4 for each office location.

Each form has a smart campaign that triggers when that specific form is field out, this is working fine.

We also have a "lead transfer" smart campaign for each form. The issue is, I have the smart campaign set up as:

Capture2.PNG

The problem is, when I transfer a lead, it also triggers this smart campaign:

Capture3.PNG

I am testing this with a test lead. The test lead has also filled out the second form in the past, so I'm guessing it's triggering it again. Is there a way to restrain the other smart campaigns so that when a lead is transferred, it only fires for the particular form they filled out instead of firing for every form they've filled out? I hope that makes sense.

EDIT: Also, just to add in, the lead transfer smart campaigns are set so each lead can run through it more than once.

EDIT 2: It looks like adding the below restraint helps a bit:

Capture4.PNG

I added the constraint to the rest of the lead transfer smart campaigns as well. However, in the case that a lead fills out more than one form on a particular day, it will trigger each of those smart campaigns when a lead is transferred. Still wondering if there's a better solution - we could use just filters and not triggers, but that does cause a bit of delay when communicating to sales.

Mikes_Jones
Level 8

I'm starting to think it might be better just to have a universal Lead Change Smart Campaign versus having one for each program.