Using Conditionals in Velocity (Email Scripting) to Evaluate Greater Than or Less Than with Currency Data

Using Conditionals in Velocity (Email Scripting) to Evaluate Greater Than or Less Than with Currency Data

Hi Everyone - 

I've been a Marketo User for years, but this is my first post in here, so my sincerest apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place. I was wondering if anyone has ever used Velocity scripting to evaluate greater than or less than statements using velocity scripting. For example, I'd like to display a phrase x if a person most recently has a currency value of x1, but phrase y if they have a currency value if y1. I think I'm running into the issue that I'm evaluating greater than or less than currency values against integers, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to use the Number Tool to convert a stored currency value to an integer. Sample code is highlighted below. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

#set ( $d = "$")
#set ( $MRC = ${lead.recentDollarAmount} )
#if( $MRC > 1001 )
  <strong>Phrase 1</strong>
#elseif( $MRC > 499 && $MRC < 1001)
  <strong>Phrase 2</strong>
#elseif( $MRC > 99 && $MRC < 501)
  <strong>Phrase 3</strong>
#elseif( $MRC > 49 && $MRC < 101)
  <strong>Phrase 4</strong>
#elseif( $MRC > 4 && $MRC < 11)
  <strong>Phrase 5</strong>
#else
  <strong>Phrase 6</strong>
#end

3 REPLIES 3
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Using Conditionals in Velocity (Email Scripting) to Evaluate Greater Than or Less Than with Currency Data

There's no problem comparing Floats with Integers*: widening conversion takes care of that.

The question is whether your $lead.recentDollarAmount is actually a Float. Something tells me it's a String. Which means you want

#set ( $MRC = $convert.toDouble($lead.recentDollarAmount) )

You also don't need the separate variable $d, as $esc.d already exists for the literal dollar sign.

except for the inherent problem of using Floats at all

Re: Using Conditionals in Velocity (Email Scripting) to Evaluate Greater Than or Less Than with Currency Data

Thanks Sandy! Much appreciated. It worked in preview when I personalized it to myself, but when I tried to send a personalized sample, I got this error:

An error occurred when procesing the email Rendered_Email_Velocity_Error_Area_?!

Invocation of method 'toDouble' in class org.apache.velocity.tools.generic.ConversionTool threw exception java.lang.NullPointerException near

Do you know what I'm doing wrong?

William

Level 10 - Community Moderator

You have to use a real email, not a sample, to test Velocity.