Using API, can I add a new Lead to Program or Activity, other suggestions?

Gerard_van_den_
Level 3

Using API, can I add a new Lead to Program or Activity, other suggestions?

For the first we're using the API to create new Leads.

Scenario: we offer a SaaS product where people can sign up for a trial through a form we developed in our own online product.

We want new people / signups to be added as Lead in MKTO together with some additional data like Lead Source etc.

We are at the point that new leads are created and existing leads are updated correctly.

However I am struggling with the following:

Leads in our software can do several things, like

- create new account (see above)

- perform certain other activities I want to track in MKTO like using a specific function.

So I want to store   A) the fact that they're part of the trial of our product (use a Program for that, if so how?? Or is a simple List best practice here?)

and B)    send over the various activities they perform so we can have triggered events happening, like sending an email etc.

What objects / fields / mechanism can I best use to store these 2 types of information?

Note that we plan to use Lead Source for the channel that was used to get TO our sign up form in the first place.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Using API, can I add a new Lead to Program or Activity, other suggestions?

did you review developers.marketo.com?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Using API, can I add a new Lead to Program or Activity, other suggestions?

Gerard, the most scalable method to log end-user activity and tie it to Marketo lead records is the Munchkin API, which as Josh pointed out is documented in the Developers area.

By default, when Munchkin.js is present on a page, the page view will be logged as a Visited Web Page activity and clicks on the page (for example, on A tags) will be logged as Clicked Link activities.  This is what I would call the "opt-out" scenario because everything is logged unless you tell it not to. You can also roll out a more managed "opt-in" Munchkin environment where only interesting events are logged (such as using a function in your SaaS app) by manually calling Munchkin.munchkinFunction('clickLink'...).  Again, this is gone over in the docs.