Re: Use Opportunity Contact Role and Opportunity Information

Yuko_Takagi
Level 2

Use Opportunity Contact Role and Opportunity Information

I want to create a triggered campaign to send emails to specific contact role on opportunity when the opportunity is moved to closed won.

It looks like this is difficult to do as opportunity contact role - role name is only available to filter when contact role is added to an opportunity.

When I try to create campaign that triggers on updates on the opportunity itself, I am unable to use role name as a filter.

Does anyone know best ways to use contact role information on the opportunity to send out emails?

Email can be sent by triggered campaign, or batch campaign.

Please let me know if this question is not clear.

Thank you.

Yuko

Tags (1)
17 REPLIES 17
Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Yuko,

Since only one contact on the SFDC account is associated with an opportunity, the trigger "Opportunity is Updated" will only run for that one contact.

Yuko_Takagi
Level 2

I have multiple contact roles for one opportunity so I don't think Opportunity is Updated can be used and specify the contact role name.

Casey_Grimes
Level 10

Hi Yuko,

You can get around this limitation in one of two ways:

- The one time Marketo does listen for Opportunity Contact Roles with filtering abilities is on the Added to Opportunity trigger. You could then set up a Marketo-only field to record that person's role and use that to determine who should get the email.

- You can also look at assigning Account Contact Roles and then just doing a combination of the opportunity changing and having that Account Contact Role.

Yuko_Takagi
Level 2

Ah that's good idea. Setting up the role name on Marketo's record. I will try this. Thank you.

JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

You can also just do a daily batch campaign with the 'data value changed' criteria matching what you want in the past '1 day' -- this way you don't have to rely on the timing, but rather run it every day with a set list of who you're targeting. I would suggest also limiting that batch to only allow people to pass through once.

Yuko_Takagi
Level 2

So I tried this method previously and because when the contact role is added to the opp, the opportunity is not necessary won, (even if the opp is moved to won at the time of the batch runs.) it will miss a lot of people. Do you know how to get around that limitation?

JD_Nelson

So you're saying you'll have contacts added to a closed/won opp that you THEN want to email? I was assuming that you wanted to email the contacts associated with the opp when it's changed to closed/won?

I was thinking something like this, batched every 24 hours:

Screenshot 2018-01-03 15.43.24.png

Screenshot 2018-01-03 15.44.16.png

Yuko_Takagi
Level 2

JD Nelson

Is "Opportunity Role" field you are using on Choice 1, is that custom field? I don't see that as my option.

JD_Nelson

I believe so -- it was just an example of ways you can send to different people. Just use whatever criteria you have