Re: Urgent Issue with Unsubscribe

Grant_Booth
Level 10

This is another reason to have some along the lines of the following in the Unsubscribe HTML for your emails:

"This email was sent to {{lead.Email Address}}..."

That way the email address it was sent to is recorded in the email, so if they try to unsubscribe with a different email address that's their own fault. This is the best way to avoid what Susan talked about.
This should be part of the default Unsubscribe HTML, but sometimes customers alter it.

Jeff is correct - it's not possible for two different leads to have the same email address but one be unsubscribed while the other is not. Marketo's durable unsubscribe updates the unsubscribed field for the duplicate records.

Grant

Alex_Stanton1
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

Vivian, also check that you are emailing the email address she uses to unsubscribe. Let's say you are emailing her @domain1.com but she is unsubscribing from @domain2.com - I have seen that happen more than once.

Adrian_Watkins
Level 3

Vivian - I would agree with what Josh said earlier. The biggest help is normally in her record, you mentioned that you can see the flow that she unsubscribed. If that lead is still getting emails you should be able to see that on her record also. if you do not see anything then there are several options;

1) There is another lead in the system that is a duplicate and that lead is not set to unsubscribe (i've seen that happen a lot).

2) She isn't actually getting an email from you but someone has hijacked your email style or is sending something similar to her

3) The email she is receiving it on isn't the one associate with her lead. For example I am on many email chains, "marketing@....." as an example. Multiple people receive that email but she may not realize that it isn't being sent to her personally.

The other thing I would do is find out which email she said that she received, go to that send program and search members. Look for her email or name and if she was sent the email she will show up. You can then trace the record from there

Anonymous
Not applicable

Found out what happened! People have been unsubscribing with a different email address than the one that they originally signed up (and were getting emails to).

Thank you everyone!