Uploading your own template

Uploading your own template

What is the best program to make a template in for design and upload it into my marketo account? Sending out an email newsletter and would like to import my own design.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Uploading your own template

Are you trying to upload a new email template? Or just upload the code for an email for a one-time send?

If you want to upload a template, those should be imported in the design studio. Not in a program.

If you are uploading the code for an email for a one-time send (not to be used as a template) you can just build the newsletter program like you normally would, create an email based on any template and then just edit the code of the email and replace the code with your new code.

Highlighted

To clarify, I am trying to design my own template that I can keep in marketo for future newsletters. I found the design studio is limiting in design and must know code. I wanted to see if anyone has recommendations for another platform to create an email template in then upload template into marketo. Does this make sense? Essentially, being able to create the template design elsewhere and then upload the generated code.

Highlighted
Level 6

Knak has a templating tool that'll do something like this -- you can modify stuff on their platform and then import your work there into Marketo, they've been at it for a while and from what I hear it's pretty easy on the end-user.

If you're using "just some email layout builder tool", there is a "Marketo layer" to think about if you go this route -- I wouldn't expect most tool to produce "Marketo-ready" html but they'd probably suffice to build out an email layout. One thing to be really aware of is that Marketo's Email 2.0 is module-based rather than "layout" or "template" based so the architecture of the template itself is more like a collection of modules than a "layout". Both the modules and the variables that make it super easy to update stuff have Marketo-specific syntax so this is something that you'd want to kind of lay over some HTML you made outside of Marketo.

There are a few rules to check out in terms of the Container and Modules - specific elements and classes that need to be added for your email template to be valid. Here's a link to some of that syntax and examples that I keep bookmarked b/c it's a really useful resource for getting your custom HTML templates to gel with Marketo: Email Template Syntax - Marketo Docs - Product Documentation. If adding this code isn't something you're familiar with, it might still save you some time to spin up a design in whatever web tool and hand that off to a developer who should be able to wrap your code in some basic Marketo syntax pretty quickly which saves you some time on development.