Re: Updating utm values from url parameter... without a form fill out... Is this even possible?

Sue_Liang
Level 1

Updating utm values from url parameter... without a form fill out... Is this even possible?

Hi everyone,

I have something very out of the box from Marketo logic and operations... but maybe someone here has encountered a similar situation and can provide some insight!

Let's say we have an email campaign where the email CTA is a product page on our website, there is no form whats so ever gated on this product page.

This product page's utm parameter looks something like this: ".....com/product-page/?utm_campaign=product-page-email-campaign"

When someone visits this page, we want to automatically update this lead's utm value to "product-page-email-campaign" even though they never filled out a form since we rely on utm value updates to track multi-touch attribution. Is there anyway to update a lead's utm value when a lead hasn't submitted a form with hidden utm fields?

I want to avoid using Data Value Change step since we don't want to manually do this for every campaign... truth be told that's how we're currently doing it and it takes up SO MUCH TIME!!

The ideal state is anytime someone enters a landing page with a utm parameter, that utm parameter in the url automatically gets captured in the lead's utm field in marketo (for known leads only, ofc!)

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Updating utm values from url parameter... without a form fill out... Is this even possible?

Yes. Craft a special Visit Web Page activity in JS (in the browser). Then pass {{trigger.web page}} in a webhook and get back the query param, and map to your lead field.

But a hidden form post may serve you just as well.

There used to be another way but Marketo phased it out, I think. Let me retest that one.

Idan_Haim
Level 1

Hi, Sue Liang

We had a similar issue acouple of months back and we solved it by using a tool developed by overstack.io - it automatically creates a "Marketing Touchpoint" activity whenever someone gets to our website with UTM parameters or from external referrals (even when there are not UTM params'). It also updates historical touchpoints up to 3 months back once a new lead is created.

You can find more info here if you need it - http://blog.overstack.io/marketing-attribution-tracking-in-marketo-arent-you-forgetting-something/