SOLVED

Updating Location - Currency Section

Go to solution
Travis_Schwartz
Level 4

Updating Location - Currency Section

So I'm coming into a situation and when we send out emails with currency we don't have the comma and it just doesn't look that great (50000 instead of 50,000 for example). I was charged with looking for a solution and I found the location section where you can change the format and I see that ours is currency listed as USD and the format is listed as 10000.00. Will changing it to the format $10,000.00 fix thee issue or is it more complicated then that? Also if we use tokens to pull currency values, does that strip out the commas? And do the decimals automatically go away if they are not included in the data set? because ours currently don't have the decimals even though our formatting shows it. I'm not sure if there is some coding that is getting rid of that that we will need to consider updating if we switch the format.

Thanks for the help. Newbie here, be gentle

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Updating Location - Currency Section

OK, so first of all, the Currency datatype is broken. You should be storing scaled Integers, i.e. the decimal multiplied by 100 to form a round number. Then format the Integer by moving the decimal point over (using Velocity). But presumably that ship has sailed if you've already loaded data.

Changing the Admin » Location format doesn't change the output format in emails.

The format you describe (standard US dollar format, a.k.a. "currency" format) is however easy to achieve in a one-line Velocity token:

${number.currency($lead.AnnualRevenue)}

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SanfordWhiteman

OK, so first of all, the Currency datatype is broken. You should be storing scaled Integers, i.e. the decimal multiplied by 100 to form a round number. Then format the Integer by moving the decimal point over (using Velocity). But presumably that ship has sailed if you've already loaded data.

Changing the Admin » Location format doesn't change the output format in emails.

The format you describe (standard US dollar format, a.k.a. "currency" format) is however easy to achieve in a one-line Velocity token:

${number.currency($lead.AnnualRevenue)}
SanfordWhiteman

Travis please mark my answer as Correct when you get a chance.