Updating Lead from webhook response without response mapping

jasondodds
Level 1

Updating Lead from webhook response without response mapping

We are exploring data enrichment strategies with Marketo and I have a question about updating Leads from a webhook response.  In our integration, we will be storing the configuration of the Marketo fields our customers want to enrich with our data (using custom field mapping), so we will have access to the API names of the target Marketo fields we are trying to enrich.

My question is this: if we were able to return a webhook response that 100% maps to the Marketo API fieldnames, is there any way we can enrich the target Leads without configuring response mappings (i.e. just pass the same payload you would use in calling /rest/v1/leads.json via the REST API)?  I would think enriching Leads via webhook response is ideal because it doesn't consume the customer's API limits, but requiring configuration of response mappings as part of the setup can be arduous, especially when there are many fields to map.  We are already generating the same payload we would deliver via the REST API, so it seems like we should just be able to pass that payload back for Marketo to consume via the webhook if it is formatted correctly.

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Updating Lead from webhook response without response mapping

You must have Response Mappings.

Remember: you don't know what the customer-meaningful fields are anyway.

So even if you did have the ability to send back API names of fields, there would still have to be a separate place for the customer to map your fields to their fields (as fetched from the Describe endpoint). Here you're giving them direct control within Marketo.

jasondodds
Level 1

Yes, we have a separate field mapping in our integration.  We know exactly which fields are customers are trying to map to and which ones are important to them.  If that is the case and we are controlling the response payload to only include those fields (with the correct API fieldnames), I don't see why we would need the separate response to map the webhook response to the Marketo fields.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

I don't see why we would need the separate response to map the webhook response to the Marketo fields.

Well, you do. Don't know what else to tell you but that's the way the feature works.