Re: Updated Template and Drafts are not carrying over Content

Lindsay_Zanga
Level 2

Updated Template and Drafts are not carrying over Content

Hi,

We had an update to a template of ours so I updated the code and approved. Upon refresh my landing pages using that template flipped to draft mode. Normally I can go edit draft and preview then just approve. However, this time when I am going into the draft I can see the new template but the content in the center is completely blank.  I can't approve any of these templates because they have forms etc. linked and I can no longer access the old version... and I can't discard the drafts because the template has been updated. Has anyone had this happen? Any idea of why the draft that it created would have lost the body/content of the landing page?

Thanks!

Lindsay

7 REPLIES 7
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Is this a free form or Guided Page?

Which code did you change? Can you undo the code change and reapprove the Template?

In general, changing Template code is risky, so always CLONE the Template to work on it.

Lindsay_Zanga
Level 2

Can't undo the change - because I approved the template draft.  I usually always clone - didn't this time of course because I thought it would be a quick fix. Opened a case with marketo who doesn't seem to understand what is going on either... first time we have had an issue like this - def lesson learned to always clone. 

I could just re-create these pages on a new template (clone them to a new template) - however the only pages that still had this old template are our unsubscribe page and the unsubscribe confirmation page. I am hesitant to just clone them because I wasn't involved with the set-up that determines what the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of all emails goes to - I don't want to break our unsubscribe link and have it go to the wrong page.  Do you know how/where to update the mass unsubscribe link?

Appreciate your help!

Lindsay

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Lindsey,

I would bet you have changed the HTML ID's of the MktEditable and other elements in the LP.

In Marketo's DB, the content is stored by editable element ID. If you change them, Marketo will not restore them. You have to go to your new draft and reset back the ID's to what there were before. If you do not know, look at the code of an approved LP, you will be able to find them.

-Greg

Lindsay_Zanga
Level 2

Thanks Greg - I was wondering if there have been different versions of landing pages... like a 1.0 to a 2.0 - and if that may have caused the issue.  I took code  from a template created last year... but copied it into a template from early 2012. I am waiting on marketo to call me back to work through it and I will bring up the HTML ID's to them.

Where in the code would I find the ID's? If I open an approved landing page would I go into edit the draft and find it there?

Thanks for your help!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Lindsay,

There are indeed 2 types og LP. Free-form (legacy) and Guided (really responsive). It is really not recommended to use the code of the first type to create the second one, as it will provide an LP with no editable zone.

ID Comes under the form of <div class="MktoText" ID="IDIsHere">.

For the LP, Once you display the landing page (not the preview, the real one) in you browser, then you can use the "display page source code" option of your browser.

For your template, in the template edit code, you can access it's code.

-Greg

Lindsay_Zanga
Level 2

Thanks Greg! I looked at both templates and both (actually all templates we have ever created) are free-form created by our front end developer.  I am meeting with him to hopefully dig into the code and will reference this conversation as a guide for what to look for. Appreciate the help!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Lindsay,

The iD issue is normally for Guided pages and email only, not for free-form LP's. So I am not sure it will help

-Greg