SOLVED

Re: Unused modules in editor 2.0

Go to solution
JD_Nelson
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Unused modules in editor 2.0

Do all modules in an email (editor 2) template have to be used in order to be available? I'm trying to create a base email that I can allow my marketers to drag modules to communicate what they need (dependent on channel) ... but the only way I can get my modules to be available is if they're already in the body tag. Seems like reverse-logic; I'd rather add what I need than delete what I don't...

Hopefully I'm just coding this wrong...?

Full background:
I grabbed a marketo template email, removed all the modules from the layout (to be a base-white/empty version), then saved that as my template. Before I saved it as my template all the modules were still active and available; but once I saved it as a template, the modules section greys-out on new emails.

I still have a container available in my template:

<td class="mktoContainer boxedbackground" id="template-wrapper">

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

If you use the "Save as Template" button in the Email Editor it will save out your currently designed email in the canvas as your new template. So, if your canvas contains 4 of the 15 modules, then your newly created template will only have 4 modules available. We have another flag on "Modules" called mktoAddByDefault which controls whether a module in your template should be added to a new email by default. This flag will be available starting with the Summer release in ~1 month. Currently, all modules in a template are added to a new email by default.

You may want to "Clone to Design Studio" one of the starter template by right-clicking on one in the Template Picker. Then you can just delete the modules yourself to your liking and approve it to your Design Studio.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

If you use the "Save as Template" button in the Email Editor it will save out your currently designed email in the canvas as your new template. So, if your canvas contains 4 of the 15 modules, then your newly created template will only have 4 modules available. We have another flag on "Modules" called mktoAddByDefault which controls whether a module in your template should be added to a new email by default. This flag will be available starting with the Summer release in ~1 month. Currently, all modules in a template are added to a new email by default.

You may want to "Clone to Design Studio" one of the starter template by right-clicking on one in the Template Picker. Then you can just delete the modules yourself to your liking and approve it to your Design Studio.

JD_Nelson

Thanks Justin.

To clarify, after the summer release we will be able to have modules that are not used at all? but are available to be 'activated' in to any given email at any given time during/after asset creation?

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

The "Save as Template" button in Email Editor 2.0 will continue to function as it does today. You are saving the current design of your email, as you see it in the canvas, as a new template. Any unused "Modules" from the previous template will not be included in the resulting template since you haven't used them in your email.

What will be introduced is the ability on an Email Template to specify 15 modules and declare that only 4 should appear in the canvas of a new email by default on creation. So, you'd be able to define 100 modules that would appear in the right-hand pane for insertion without making them all show up in all new emails that are created.

Does this clarify it?

Anonymous
Not applicable

When will the ability to define modules to appear in the right-hand pane but only a few show up in the created emails be available?

JD_Nelson

I haven't checked for this functionality, specifically, yet, but it does look like the Spring release happened on schedule for me. Defining the modules I believe is strictly the new code to put in your template. Did you attempt, and it not work? I plan to check this later this afternoon and will reply back with my findings as needed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried mktoAddByDefault="False" i can verify its working

thanks y'all

JD_Nelson

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL!!!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

We have tested all the new email 2.0 features and they all work

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Awesome! More to come in the next release!