Unsubscribes from operational email without an unsubscribe link?

Jake_Keller
Level 1

Unsubscribes from operational email without an unsubscribe link?

I just want to verify. Does Marketo add the list-unsubscribe link in the header on operational emails as well? It seems sometimes it's visible in the code on the recipient side and sometimes it is not. But I have a small number of unsubscribes popping up on operational emails that did not contain an unsubscribe link, and this is the only way I can think of that happening?

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Re: Unsubscribes from operational email without an unsubscribe link?

Unsure about whether Marketo adds the list unsub, or it might depend on the client.

However, if a person decides to click on 'Report Spam', no doubt that will get back to Marketo where Marketo will unsubscribe the lead.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Unsure about whether Marketo adds the list unsub, or it might depend on the client.

Marketo adds the header. It's up to the client to offer it as a special button/link.

Jay_Jiang
Level 10

Well actually... from testing, the list-unsubscribe header doesn't appear in operational emails

SanfordWhiteman

I didn't say it did. I was explaining that it's not created by the client. It only exists if Marketo adds it.

Gunjan_Batra1
Level 4

Sometime email clients let you unsubscribe even if the Unsub link is not visible on the email body.

SanfordWhiteman

That's Jake's question, Gunjan. He knows about the X-List-Unsubscribe header.

Jake_Keller
Level 1

Solved my own confusion.

1. List-Unsubscribe is NOT added to operational emails. Most 'unsubscribes' associated there are spam complaints, although there were a number with no details in the unsubscribe action in the activity report, despite it being clearly associated with that specific email, so that's a bit of a mystery.
  2. Simple mistake, cloning an operational email does not carry the operational status unless you manually check the box