Unsubscribes being added to Default Segments?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unsubscribes being added to Default Segments?

Hi guys,

I've recently noticed that in campaigns where I am using Segmentations, some unsubscribes are being added to the Default version of the segment. When the campaign was initially blasted, there was no one that would have received a default version, yet my email performance report shows that there were people in the default segment and all of them have unsubscribed.

I know that segments are dynamic and that if a criteria changes, the record moves to the version that matches those rules, but I can understand why an unsubscribe would be moved to a default segment (the rules don't include unsubscribe as a selection criteria).

Thanks
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Unsubscribes being added to Default Segments?

If you specify that you only want leads that are subscribed then it should not include unsubscribes.  Otherwise, the system will pull in any lead, subscribed or not, into a segment if not specified.  Furthermore, it should not matter as we will never send an email to an unsubscribed lead in the system.  
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you for your reply. I don't think I explained myself clearly.

It's not that the campaign is sending to unsubscribes (these are excluded). The problem is in the Email Performance Reporting in Analytics listing unsubscribes in the Default version of my Segmentation.

As an example, I want to create an email that will send 2 different creative versions - one to those who live in Queensland and one to those who live in Victoria. I create a Segment with Version 1: State = Queensland, and Version 2: State = Victoria. Marketo includes a Default segment in all Segmentations which captures everyone who does not meet the selection criteria. My Segment is approved and I have 10 records in Version 1, 15 in Version 2 and 30 in Default.

I then create my email using my Segment. In my Smart Campaign I use the criteria State = Queensland, Victoria. This means that only those in Queensland and Victoria will be selected for this campaign, and as such, only Versions 1 and 2 of my Segmentation creative will be used. No one will receive the Default creative as they do not match the selection rules.

I send my campaign and create an Email Performance Report in Analytics. I pull in the Group by Segmentations filter in my Setup and reference my State Segment. The report then shows my email performance grouped by Version 1, Version 2 and Default.

When I first create the report (after I send my campaign), it only lists stats against the 2 versions I created and nothing against the Default segment (which is correct as I sent nothing to the Default segment). However, when I check the report in a couple of days time, the Default segment now has members against it and they are all unsubscribed.

As mentioned previously, I understand that Segmentations are dynamic, and that leads will move in and out of segments as they match the selection criteria. But I can't understand why unsubscribing would move a lead to a default segment. The only thing I can think of is that something in the unsubscribe is overwritting other data and therefore the lead no longer matches the selection criteria, thereby moving it to the Default Segment.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Natali
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello again,

Does anyone have any insights into why this might be happening? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Natali