Re: Unsubscribe users with intercom

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unsubscribe users with intercom

Hi all,

I am sending emails from marketo and i would like when a user is unsuscribe from marketo's email, unsubscribed from intercom too.

regards.

8 REPLIES 8
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Ivan,

Is intercom synchronized with your CRM as Marketo is? If so, you can sync the unsub with the CRM and from there, sync it with Intercom.

Otherwise, this will take some custom dev with APIS or the use of an ETL (MUV, Bedrock data, Informatica, ...) Look for one that have both an Intercom and a Marketo connector.

-Greg

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Yes, this one is simple. (integrations that sound simple often are complex to outright impossible, but this one is one of the good ones.)

Intercom's API uses permanent access tokens. So you can call the /users endpoint from a Marketo webhook and set unsubscribed_from_emails to false. A developer can set this up in a few minutes.

Ayush_Aggarwal1
Level 2

Hey Sanford,

We are also trying to do the same thing. But can you elaborate on "So you can call the /users endpoint from a Marketo webhook and set unsubscribed_from_emails to false." I had setup the Webhook as provided by the Intercom (attached) and when I am unsubscribing from Marketo email, the Webhook is returning Bad Value.

Screenshot 2019-11-05 at 3.30.53 PM.png

Regards,

Ayush Aggarwal

Enget_Dang
Level 3

In a similar scenario, if the unsubscribe goes from True to False in Marketo, is there a way to use the same webhook to communicate the "resubscribe" back to Intercom?

SanfordWhiteman

Yes, same idea.

Cameron_Bernar2
Level 1

Sorry, meant to reply here....

This is helpful, but a few more questions.

1. What happens if you are connecting to multiple workspaces in intercom under the same account? Does the marketo hook just sync with both? 
  2. We don't have a 1:1 sync with intercom and Marketo contacts. What happens if the webhook calls someone in Marketo that doesn't exist in Intercom already? Ideally, I don't want a new user to be created (just ignored). I guess I can just add a filter to the trigger that suppresses out any intercom users, but just wondering as a fail safe.

Thanks!

SanfordWhiteman

What happens if you are connecting to multiple workspaces in intercom under the same account? Does the marketo hook just sync with both?

Yes.

We don't have a 1:1 sync with intercom and Marketo contacts. What happens if the webhook calls someone in Marketo that doesn't exist in Intercom already? Ideally, I don't want a new user to be created (just ignored). I guess I can just add a filter to the trigger that suppresses out any intercom users, but just wondering as a fail safe.

The /users endpoint is an upsert (i.e. creates the user if not already there) as long as your lookup is on the email field.

If you happen to have the user's Intercom id synced to Marketo -- an excellent idea! -- then you can do just an update, by looking up by id (/users/:id), or simply skip the Call Webhook if there's no id.

Cameron_Bernar2
Level 1

This is helpful, but a few more questions.

1. What happens if you are connecting to multiple workspaces in intercom under the same account? Does the marketo hook just sync with both? 
  2. We don't have a 1:1 sync with intercom and Marketo contacts. What happens if the webhook calls someone in Marketo that doesn't exist in Intercom already? Ideally, I don't want a new user to be created (just ignored). I guess I can just add a filter to the trigger that suppresses out any intercom users, but just wondering as a fail safe.

Thanks!